Can't Solve Character Schedule: f(x)=e^x(x^3-2x^2-x+4)-5

• MHB
  • Thread starter Petrus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Schedule
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a characters schedule in an old exam solution. The function and its derivative are given, but the student's characters schedule differs from the given one. It is suggested that there may be a typo in the given solution and the importance of checking work with a computer is emphasized.
Petrus
Hello MHB,
I am working with an old exam that we got full soloution I got problem with their characters schedule ( hope you understand what I mean cause I could not find any translate)
1zvfjb.png

I got the same roots as the soloution but in the characters schedule why do they got \(\displaystyle x-3\) and \(\displaystyle (x+1)^2\) should it not be \(\displaystyle x+3\) and \(\displaystyle (x-1)^2\) or I am missing something, that's what I get when I solve it.
edit: the function maybe was not clearly to see in the picture but here it is \(\displaystyle f(x)=e^x(x^3-2x^2-x+4)-5\)
Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Physics news on Phys.org
I get $f'(x)=(x-1)^{2}(x+3)e^{x}$.

Petrus said:
...I got the same roots as the soloution but in the characters schedule why do they got \(\displaystyle x-3\) and \(\displaystyle (x+1)^2\) should it not be \(\displaystyle x+3\) and \(\displaystyle (x-1)^2\) or I am missing something, that's what I get when I solve it...

Post your working and we can get to the bottom of where you went wrong. :D

MarkFL said:
Post your working and we can get to the bottom of where you went wrong. :D
Hello Mark,
I get correct answer and graph but my characters schedule looks diffrent from their, I don't know how I can make one and when I make one in paint it does not look nice so I will describe with words. At left side of the characters schedule I got \(\displaystyle (x+3)\) insted of \(\displaystyle (x-3)\) and \(\displaystyle (x-1)^2\) insted of \(\displaystyle (x+1)^2\) and rest is exactly the same, so my guess is they made some sign typo? Just want to be sure so I don't make the characters schedule wrong. As Ackbach said I got the roots \(\displaystyle x=1\) (<- double root) and \(\displaystyle x=-3\).

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Two comments:

1. You can make tables in $\LaTeX$ as follows:

Code:
\begin{array}{c|c|c}
   1 & 2 & 3 \\ \hline
   4 & 5 & 6 \\ \hline
   7 & f(x) & \sin(x) \\
\end{array}

produces

\begin{array}{c|c|c}
1 & 2 & 3 \\ \hline
4 & 5 & 6 \\ \hline
7 & f(x) & \sin(x) \\
\end{array}

2. Books can be wrong. Math books, especially calculus books, might have a lower error rate than some other types of books, but they definitely have incorrect things in them from time to time. In this case, there is no doubt that they computed the derivative incorrectly. In my opinion, in this day and age of CAS's, there's no excuse for not checking their work with a computer. CAS's can't replace a person, but people should use them to check their work!

1. What does the f(x) in the equation stand for?

The f(x) in the equation represents the function that is being evaluated. In this case, it is a function of x that involves the exponential function and a polynomial expression.

2. How do I solve this equation?

This equation cannot be solved analytically, meaning there is no algebraic method to find the exact solutions. However, it can be solved numerically using a graphing calculator or a computer program.

3. What is the purpose of the -5 at the end of the equation?

The -5 at the end of the equation is a constant term that shifts the entire graph downwards by 5 units. This can be seen as a translation of the graph.

4. Can this equation be graphed?

Yes, this equation can be graphed. However, it may be difficult to see the full shape of the graph without using a graphing calculator or computer program due to the complexity of the equation.

5. What is the significance of the e in the equation?

The e in the equation represents the mathematical constant, approximately equal to 2.71828. It is often used in conjunction with the exponential function in mathematics and science.