How to Calculate Pendulum Length and Speed | Easy Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter yosup231
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with a question involving a pendulum and its period and speed. The question asks for the length of the pendulum and the speed at the bottom of its swing given the maximum displacement angle. The user provides hints and the final answer, which is .23 m/s, is found using the formula (2pi/T)A.
yosup231
Please Help!

ok could someone plesae help me with this question

I had to draw a pendulum and the questions asks what is the length of the pendulum if the period is .75 s so i got .142 m then it asks what is the speed of the pendulum at the bottom of its swing if the angle that makes its maximum displacement is 11 degrees? wow do i do that... I have no idea?

PLEASE HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
c'mon 11 views no help I am sure someone out there knows it

HINT 1: What is the difference in height between the highest and lowest positions of the pendulum.

HINT 2: Energy is conserved. :)

difference is .142m - .03m i don't see how it helps

is teh answer by any chance .16 or .23

What are the units of speed? And how did you get those numbers?

.23 m/s

(2pi/T)A
(spi/.75)(.142sin11)= .23m/s

1. What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a fixed point that can swing back and forth freely. It is commonly used to measure time and has been studied by scientists for centuries.

2. How do I calculate the length of a pendulum?

The length of a pendulum can be calculated using the formula L = gT^2/(4π^2), where L is the length, g is the acceleration due to gravity (usually 9.8 m/s^2), and T is the period of the pendulum (the time it takes for one complete swing).

3. What is the formula for calculating the speed of a pendulum?

The speed of a pendulum can be calculated using the formula v = √(gL), where v is the speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and L is the length of the pendulum.

4. How is a pendulum's length related to its speed?

The length of a pendulum is directly proportional to its speed. This means that as the length of the pendulum increases, its speed also increases. This is because a longer pendulum has a greater distance to travel in the same amount of time, resulting in a higher speed.

5. Are there any real-life applications of pendulum length and speed calculations?

Yes, pendulum length and speed calculations have many real-life applications. For example, pendulums are used in clocks and metronomes to keep time. They are also used in seismology to measure earthquake activity, and in amusement park rides for entertainment. Understanding pendulum length and speed can also help engineers design more efficient and stable structures such as bridges and buildings.