Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Draw a tangent that is perpendicular to the line

1. Sep 30, 2005 #1
    I have a curve [itex]-\sqrt {2x^3 }[/itex] on which I'm supposed to draw a tangent that is perpendicular to the line [itex]\[y = \frac{4}{3}x + \frac{1}{3}[/itex].

I know that this tangent must have a "steepness" of -3/4 in order to make it perpendicular, but how do I now find the point on the graph?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2005 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Solve for the x from the curve formula that would make its slope equal to that of the tangent.

4. Sep 30, 2005 #3

Diane_

Homework Helper

Given that the tangent needs to be perpendicular to the line y = 4/3x + 1/3, he's right that the slope must be -3/4. Negative reciprocal for the normal line.

TSN79 - What you need is the point on the curve where the first derivative is -3/4. Just take the derivative, plug in that value, and solve for x.

Note: I'm presuming you're taking or have taken calculus, as I don't see any other way to do this.

5. Sep 30, 2005 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

He could do it geometrically I suppose, but that may or may not be exact.

6. Oct 1, 2005 #5
    Take the derivative of what? And plug in what value? -3/4? I tried with [itex]
    - \sqrt {2x^3 } [/itex] but didn't really get anywhere...

7. Oct 1, 2005 #6

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take the derivative of [itex] - \sqrt {2x^3 } [/itex] then equate it to -3/4 and solve for x.

8. Oct 1, 2005 #7
    Ah, now where getting somewhere, thanks ya all!

9. Oct 1, 2005 #8

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Did you really need to be told that? You were told that the line had to be tangent to the curve given by [itex]y=-\sqrt {2x^3 }[/itex]. Didn't you connect "tangent" with "derivative"- after you had been told the find the derivative- the only tangent mentioned was to [itex]y= -\sqrt {2x^3 }[/itex].

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook