1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Draw a tangent that is perpendicular to the line

1. Sep 30, 2005 #1
    I have a curve [itex]-\sqrt {2x^3 }[/itex] on which I'm supposed to draw a tangent that is perpendicular to the line [itex]\[y = \frac{4}{3}x + \frac{1}{3}[/itex].

I know that this tangent must have a "steepness" of -3/4 in order to make it perpendicular, but how do I now find the point on the graph?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2005 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Solve for the x from the curve formula that would make its slope equal to that of the tangent.

4. Sep 30, 2005 #3

Diane_

Homework Helper

Given that the tangent needs to be perpendicular to the line y = 4/3x + 1/3, he's right that the slope must be -3/4. Negative reciprocal for the normal line.

TSN79 - What you need is the point on the curve where the first derivative is -3/4. Just take the derivative, plug in that value, and solve for x.

Note: I'm presuming you're taking or have taken calculus, as I don't see any other way to do this.

5. Sep 30, 2005 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

He could do it geometrically I suppose, but that may or may not be exact.

6. Oct 1, 2005 #5
    Take the derivative of what? And plug in what value? -3/4? I tried with [itex]
    - \sqrt {2x^3 } [/itex] but didn't really get anywhere...

7. Oct 1, 2005 #6

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take the derivative of [itex] - \sqrt {2x^3 } [/itex] then equate it to -3/4 and solve for x.

8. Oct 1, 2005 #7
    Ah, now where getting somewhere, thanks ya all!

9. Oct 1, 2005 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Did you really need to be told that? You were told that the line had to be tangent to the curve given by [itex]y=-\sqrt {2x^3 }[/itex]. Didn't you connect "tangent" with "derivative"- after you had been told the find the derivative- the only tangent mentioned was to [itex]y= -\sqrt {2x^3 }[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?