Draw free body diagrams for each sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the reaction forces at the four contact points A, B, C, and D in a system with two hollow balls of different masses sitting in a smooth chamber. The solution involves drawing free body diagrams and using the weight and angle of the spheres to calculate the magnitude of forces. Ultimately, four equations are needed to solve for the four unknown forces.
frozen7
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4225&stc=1

Determine the reaction forces at the four contact points A,B,C,D. The hollow balls which are homogenous and made of the same material have masses of 1.02kg and 2.04kg and the chamber they sit in is 55.98cm wide. Everything is smooth,so that the friction is negligible.

Can anyone help me in this question?

Attachments

• asd.jpg
    asd.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 867
Physics news on Phys.org
frozen7 said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4225&stc=1

Determine the reaction forces at the four contact points A,B,C,D. The hollow balls which are homogenous and made of the same material have masses of 1.02kg and 2.04kg and the chamber they sit in is 55.98cm wide. Everything is smooth,so that the friction is negligible.

Can anyone help me in this question?

Draw free body diagrams for each sphere. In the absence of frictional forces, there are only normal forces to consider: right at A, left at C, and up at D. The forces at B point along the line connecting the centers of the spheres. Each sphere has weight acting downwards. The hard part is finding the angle between line connecting sphere centers and the horizontal (or vertical). You need to know the size of the spheres. Do you have these? From the two FBDs you will get four equations for the four unkowns. These will easily reduce to two equations because two of the four force magnitudes must be the same, and one must equal the total weight.

opps...I forgot to mention the radius of circles...10 cm and 20cm for each.

since I got the value of radius,I can find out the angle of tbetween the line connect both center and the horizontal/vertical
But...find it for what?

frozen7 said:
since I got the value of radius,I can find out the angle of tbetween the line connect both center and the horizontal/vertical
But...find it for what?
With this angle you can resolve the action-reation pair of forces acting at B into horizontal and vertical components. All the other forces in the problem are either horizontal or vertical. The vector sum of the forces on each sphere must be zero, and that leads to two equations for each sphere (one for horizontal forces and one for vertical forces). That will give you all the equations you need to solve for all four unknown forces.

What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a graphical representation of the forces acting on an object. It shows all the external forces acting on the object, including their magnitude, direction, and point of application.

Why is it important to draw free body diagrams?

Free body diagrams help us to understand the forces acting on an object and how they affect its motion. By drawing a free body diagram, we can analyze the forces and determine the net force acting on the object, which is essential in understanding its motion.

How do you draw a free body diagram for a sphere?

To draw a free body diagram for a sphere, you need to identify all the external forces acting on the sphere. These forces may include weight, normal force, friction, and any other applied forces. Then, draw arrows to represent each force, making sure to label their magnitude and direction. Finally, draw a dot in the center of the sphere to represent its center of mass.

What are some common mistakes when drawing free body diagrams?

Some common mistakes when drawing free body diagrams include forgetting to label the forces, not including all the external forces, and drawing the forces with incorrect directions. It is important to double-check your diagram for accuracy before using it for analysis.

Can free body diagrams be used for any object, not just spheres?

Yes, free body diagrams can be used for any object, as long as all the external forces acting on the object are identified and properly represented. They can be used for point masses, rigid bodies, and even systems of multiple objects.