1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Draw graphics on a compuer

1. Jan 26, 2006 #1
    (I doubt it's the ideal forum for this question, but I found no better. Mentors, feel free to move it if you think it will get better answers somewhere else)
    Hi,
    I use a computer to submit Math and Physics homework and work with a LaTeX editor called LyX. The problem is that I don't have a very good method of drawing graphics (ie. schematic things like a function plot or a mechanical system).

Do any of you happen to know a good software for drawing such things and combining them in a LaTeX file?
    If possible, work with UNIX and draw graphs as vectors (output as svg, eps, etc.)

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2006 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Google:
    xfig
    gnuplot
    jpicedt
    Maple (not free)

4. Jan 27, 2006 #3

benorin

Homework Helper

Also, check-out this free on-line 3-dimensional plotting utility, the Jeks Display. Also, there is an excellent (in quality of that produced) plotting library for LaTeX, it comes in two flavors, epix and pyepix (a python wrapper for epix) both are operating system independent and free (GNU licensed). Very high quality plots.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2006
  5. Jan 27, 2006 #4
    I use scilab and octave on Linux. They are not only graphics plotting software, but calculation software similar to MATLAB. And they can be compiled with Intel compilers for faster speed.

6. Jan 27, 2006 #5

benorin

Homework Helper

A Manual of Mathematical Ilustration, by Bill Casselman, shows, at several levels of sophistication, how to use PostScript for producing mathematical graphics.

7. Jan 27, 2006 #6
    Thanks everyone.
    I actually meant software more like xfig, that you can draw with the mouse, and not produce exact plots (for that I mostly use Mathematica).
    I think xfig will do, but if you know better, please say.

8. Jan 27, 2006 #7
    Check out Dia for graphics (and TeXMacs if you'd like a wysiwyg LateX editor).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?