1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Draw graphs?

1. Nov 24, 2009 #1
    Draw graphs??

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A stone of a mass of 5kg drops through a distance of 15m under the influence of gravity. Draw graphs of the work done by the stone and the power of the stone as a function of time. Discuss your results.

2. Relevant equations

Work=(force)(displacement)
    Power=(work)/(time) or Power=(Force)(velocity)

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, so I solved for work
    work= (5kg)(9.8m/s^2)(15m)=735J
    I don't know what to do now. I would think I need to plot Force on the Y axis, and displacement on the X axis, but I'm not sure.
    I'm having the same issue with the second graph
    Power=(735J)/(??) The problem says to graph power of the stone as a function of time, so i'm guesing I have to use the power equation that involves time. Can I use Power=(Force)(velocity)? I'm so confused! Help please!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2009 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Draw graphs??

Look at this problem from the point of view of energy. What can you say about the total energy (potential + kinetic) at all times? How does the potential energy change with distance? With time? (how does distance fallen or y position change with time?). Using this can you determine the change in kinetic energy as a function of distance and time?

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook