Sketching Signal Over Time | Homework Statement & Equations

In summary, the problem is to sketch the signal x(t)=1+δ(t-2)+δ(t+2)+δ(5) over time. The attempt at a solution suggests that the signal would look like a constant value with a few peaks, but the delta function δ(5) does not make sense in this context and would result in a constant value of 1 at all times.
Pete_01

Homework Statement

The problem is to sketch the signal over time:
x(t)=1+δ(t-2)+δ(t+2)+δ(5)

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not too sure how to begin this. Would it look like a square wave with different "peaks" over time?

Physics news on Phys.org
it would look like a constant value with a few peaks

however [itex] \delta (5) [/itex] doesn't make sense, it should be a function of t

lanedance said:
it would look like a constant value with a few peaks

however [itex] \delta (5) [/itex] doesn't make sense, it should be a function of t

well wouldn't that be just a constant value of 5 added across the whole signal?

don't think so, the delta function [itex] \delta (t) [/itex] is zero everywhere except at t=0, hence why it doesn't make much sense

lanedance said:
don't think so, the delta function [itex] \delta (t) [/itex] is zero everywhere except at t=0, hence why it doesn't make much sense

I check it again, I did write it correctly. So assuming that's right, would it be a linear looking like increasing as time increased?

well as I said it doesn't make sense, but if you have to work with it, I think delta(5) = 0

1. What is "Draw Signal Over Time"?

"Draw Signal Over Time" is a scientific method used to visually represent the change in a specific signal or variable over a period of time. It involves plotting the signal on a graph with time on the x-axis and the signal value on the y-axis.

2. Why is "Draw Signal Over Time" important in scientific research?

"Draw Signal Over Time" is important in scientific research because it allows researchers to analyze and understand how a particular signal or variable changes over time. This can provide valuable insights into the underlying processes and mechanisms at work.

3. What types of signals can be plotted using "Draw Signal Over Time"?

Any type of signal or variable that changes over time can be plotted using "Draw Signal Over Time". This includes physical signals such as temperature, pressure, or voltage, as well as biological signals like heart rate, brain activity, or gene expression.

4. How do you interpret a "Draw Signal Over Time" graph?

When interpreting a "Draw Signal Over Time" graph, it is important to pay attention to the shape, amplitude, and trend of the signal. The shape can indicate the type of relationship between the signal and time, while the amplitude represents the strength or magnitude of the signal. The trend can reveal patterns or changes in the signal over time.

5. What are the advantages of using "Draw Signal Over Time" in data analysis?

One of the main advantages of using "Draw Signal Over Time" in data analysis is its visual nature, which makes it easier to identify patterns and trends in the data. It also allows for the comparison of multiple signals or variables on the same graph, making it a useful tool for analyzing relationships between different variables over time.