Draw the position time graph of a body moving with zero velocity.

In summary, the conversation discusses a question on a mid-term exam regarding the position-time graph of a body with zero velocity. One student drew a graph parallel to the x-axis and received full marks, while another drew a graph coinciding with the x-axis and only received 0.5 marks. The teacher stated that the position = 0 was not defined, but the student argued that in many graphs, the starting position is at 0. The expert concludes that the friend's answer is not entirely correct as it presumes a specific position, but it does represent something with zero velocity. There is a possibility of partial credit depending on the exact wording of the question.
johncena
In the mid term exam there was this question ,
Draw the position - time graph of a body moving with zero velocity.
I drew the graph (parallel to x-axis) and got full marks . And one of my friend drew the graph (coinciding x-axis) but , he got only 0.5 marks out of 2 . When he asked the teacher, she said that the position = 0 is not defined .But in many of the graphs we start from position = 0.So, what is the mistake in my friend's answer? Isn't his answer correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
In a position-time graph any path parallel to the x-axis would be correct. The body could have started at 1m away and stayed there.
In a displacement-time graph (which is how it's normally stated) then it has to be along the axis because the displacement (ie distance from starting point) can't change from zero

So , my friend's answer is correct , isn't it ?

If the problem was as you stated, and did not elaborate, then it seems to me the teacher might be unreasonable. If the body happens to be at x=0 with zero velocity, then its path will be on the x axis. If the problem doesn't also ask you to specify the starting coordinates of the body, then your friend seems to have answered it correctly. It might also depend on whether or not your teacher had told the class that the starting position should be stated along with the position-time graphs, and that the necessity of doing so in exams was implied.

johncena said:
Isn't his answer correct?
The problem with your friend's answer is that it presumes a specific position, x = 0, whereas a more general diagram with unspecified x-coordinate does not. To his credit, his drawing does represent something with zero velocity; it's just not general enough. Depending on the exact wording of the question, I would give partial credit (perhaps full credit, if the wording was sloppy). (I, of course, would phrase the question more carefully.)

Unlabeled graphs are a "pet peeve" of mine. I assume the same is the case with your teacher and that your friend has probably been aware of that fact during the course of the class.

1. What is a position-time graph?

A position-time graph is a visual representation of an object's position over time. It plots the position of an object on the y-axis and time on the x-axis.

2. How is zero velocity represented on a position-time graph?

Zero velocity is represented by a horizontal line on a position-time graph. This means that the object is not moving and its position remains constant over time.

3. What does the slope of a position-time graph indicate?

The slope of a position-time graph indicates the velocity of the object. A steeper slope indicates a higher velocity, while a flat slope indicates zero velocity.

4. Can an object have a changing position but still have zero velocity?

Yes, an object can have a changing position but still have zero velocity. This occurs when the object is moving back and forth between two points at a constant rate, resulting in a zero average velocity.

5. How does acceleration affect a position-time graph?

Acceleration affects a position-time graph by changing the slope of the graph. A positive acceleration will result in a steeper slope, indicating an increase in velocity, while a negative acceleration will result in a flatter slope, indicating a decrease in velocity.