Draw VSEPR Structures: CsF Ionic, Polar Covalent or Non-Polar?

In summary, the conversation is about drawing VSEPR structures for molecules and classifying them as ionic, polar covalent, or non-polar covalent. The conversation also includes a question about how to draw VSEPR structures and a clarification that VSEPR theory only applies to covalent bonding. The molecule CsF is mentioned as an example.
Jbreezy

Homework Statement

I'm supposed to draw VSEPR structures showing all valence electrons for the molecule. Draw in the partial charges δ+ and δ- if they exist. Classify the molecules as ionic, polar covalent or non-polar covalent. Some molecules may be of hypothetical existence.

Homework Equations

I want to know about CsF

The Attempt at a Solution

What exactly do they mean VSEPR structure I have never had to draw them. I assume I have to draw the actual geometry? For this one it is just linear. I don't know how to show you what I have. I actually have more of a lewis structre.
[Cs+][F-] I have fluoride ion with 6 dots around it.

So this is ionic. I have the arrow drawn from Cs going to F. Is this right? Is this what they want ?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you read what VSEPR is about, you'll discover that it applies only to covalent bonding between the atoms, not to ionic. The chemical bond in CsF is the most ionic one could imagine.

Can someone please tell me how to draw VSEPR strutures? Please

Wiki link #2
Its a bit large to cover in a single post.

dextercioby said:
If you read what VSEPR is about, you'll discover that it applies only to covalent bonding between the atoms, not to ionic. The chemical bond in CsF is the most ionic one could imagine.

Why is this so ? And I read the wikipage posted. So if I have CsF what am I supposed to do? Thanks

1. What is the VSEPR theory?

The VSEPR (Valence Shell Electron Pair Repulsion) theory is a model used in chemistry to predict the molecular geometry of molecules based on the number of electron pairs around the central atom.

2. What is the difference between ionic, polar covalent, and non-polar bonds?

Ionic bonds are formed when there is a complete transfer of electrons from one atom to another, resulting in the formation of ions. Polar covalent bonds are formed when there is an unequal sharing of electrons between two atoms, resulting in a slight positive and negative charge on the atoms. Non-polar bonds are formed when there is an equal sharing of electrons between two atoms, resulting in a neutral charge.

3. Is CsF an ionic, polar covalent, or non-polar molecule?

CsF (Cesium fluoride) is an ionic molecule because there is a complete transfer of electrons from cesium to fluorine, resulting in the formation of Cs+ and F- ions.

4. How do you draw VSEPR structures?

In order to draw VSEPR structures, you first need to determine the central atom and the number of electron pairs around it. Then, use the VSEPR theory to determine the molecular geometry based on the number of electron pairs. Finally, draw the structure, making sure to show the correct bond angles and lone pairs of electrons.

5. Why is it important to draw VSEPR structures?

Drawing VSEPR structures allows us to visualize the three-dimensional shape of molecules and predict their physical and chemical properties. It also helps us understand the bonding and reactivity of molecules, which is crucial in many fields of chemistry, such as drug design and material science.