• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Draw VSEPR structures

• Thread starter Jbreezy
  • Start date

Homework Statement

I'm supposed to draw VSEPR structures showing all valence electrons for the molecule. Draw in the partial charges δ+ and δ- if they exist. Classify the molecules as ionic, polar covalent or non-polar covalent. Some molecules may be of hypothetical existence.

Homework Equations

I want to know about CsF

The Attempt at a Solution

What exactly do they mean VSEPR structure I have never had to draw them. I assume I have to draw the actual geometry? For this one it is just linear. I don't know how to show you what I have. I actually have more of a lewis structre.
[Cs+][F-] I have fluoride ion with 6 dots around it.

So this is ionic. I have the arrow drawn from Cs going to F. Is this right? Is this what they want ?

Answers and Replies

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
If you read what VSEPR is about, you'll discover that it applies only to covalent bonding between the atoms, not to ionic. The chemical bond in CsF is the most ionic one could imagine.

Can someone please tell me how to draw VSEPR strutures? Please

Wiki link #2
Its a bit large to cover in a single post.

If you read what VSEPR is about, you'll discover that it applies only to covalent bonding between the atoms, not to ionic. The chemical bond in CsF is the most ionic one could imagine.
Why is this so ? And I read the wikipage posted. So if I have CsF what am I supposed to do? Thanks