1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Draw VSEPR structures

1. Sep 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm supposed to draw VSEPR structures showing all valence electrons for the molecule. Draw in the partial charges δ+ and δ- if they exist. Classify the molecules as ionic, polar covalent or non-polar covalent. Some molecules may be of hypothetical existence.

2. Relevant equations
    I want to know about CsF

3. The attempt at a solution
    What exactly do they mean VSEPR structure I have never had to draw them. I assume I have to draw the actual geometry? For this one it is just linear. I don't know how to show you what I have. I actually have more of a lewis structre.
    [Cs+][F-] I have fluoride ion with 6 dots around it.

So this is ionic. I have the arrow drawn from Cs going to F. Is this right? Is this what they want ?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2013 #2
  4. Sep 7, 2013 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you read what VSEPR is about, you'll discover that it applies only to covalent bonding between the atoms, not to ionic. The chemical bond in CsF is the most ionic one could imagine.

5. Sep 7, 2013 #4
    Can someone please tell me how to draw VSEPR strutures? Please

6. Sep 7, 2013 #5
    Wiki link #2
    Its a bit large to cover in a single post.

7. Sep 7, 2013 #6
    Why is this so ? And I read the wikipage posted. So if I have CsF what am I supposed to do? Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted