Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drawing 3D curved arrows around an axis

1. Sep 4, 2015 #1
    Hi,
    I'm working on a project to illustrate the isometries of a tetrahedron and would like to be able to add a curved arrow around the black axis of rotation in the Manipulate display to indicate which way the solid is rotating depending if the angle is negative or positive. Here's a display of what I have so far: symmetries of platonic solids 5.jpg

I use the code:

Code (Text):
    {a,b,c,d}=PolyhedronData["Tetrahedron","Faces"][[1]];
    which returns the coordinates I think of the faces (may need to study that part some more). Then I rotate the tetrahedron via

Code (Text):
    Rotate[PolyhedronData["Tetrahedron","Faces"],angle,theAxis]
    by an angle of "angle" along theAxis with theAxis=a,b,c, or d. Then just draw the axis of rotation as:

Code (Text):
    Line[3{-theAxis,theAxis}]
    Would sure look nicer if I could draw two curved arrows, one below and one above the figure around the black axis to more indicate how it's rotating. So I was wondering if someone could help me a bit with this.

. . . also need to figure out how to draw a plane (polygon I guess) perpendicular to a face of the tetrahedron to illustrate reflection. I'll work on it.

Ok thanks for reading,

Jack

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook