Drawing 3D curved arrows around an axis

In summary: For example, to create a plane perpendicular to the first face of the tetrahedron, you could use the following code:{Opacity[0.5], Polygon[{{a, b, c}, {a, b, c} + 0.5 {1, 1, 1}, {a, b, c} + 0.5 {-1, 1, 1}, {a, b, c} + 0.5 {-1, -1, 1}, {a, b, c} + 0.5 {1, -1, 1}}]}I hope this helps you with
jackmell
Hi,
I'm working on a project to illustrate the isometries of a tetrahedron and would like to be able to add a curved arrow around the black axis of rotation in the Manipulate display to indicate which way the solid is rotating depending if the angle is negative or positive. Here's a display of what I have so far:
symmetries of platonic solids 5.jpg

I use the code:

Code:
{a,b,c,d}=PolyhedronData["Tetrahedron","Faces"][[1]];

which returns the coordinates I think of the faces (may need to study that part some more). Then I rotate the tetrahedron via

Code:
Rotate[PolyhedronData["Tetrahedron","Faces"],angle,theAxis]

by an angle of "angle" along theAxis with theAxis=a,b,c, or d. Then just draw the axis of rotation as:

Code:
Line[3{-theAxis,theAxis}]

Would sure look nicer if I could draw two curved arrows, one below and one above the figure around the black axis to more indicate how it's rotating. So I was wondering if someone could help me a bit with this.

. . . also need to figure out how to draw a plane (polygon I guess) perpendicular to a face of the tetrahedron to illustrate reflection. I'll work on it.

Ok thanks for reading,

Jack

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Jack,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your project with us. It sounds like an interesting and challenging project! I would be happy to offer some suggestions on how to improve your Manipulate display and add the curved arrows to indicate the direction of rotation.

Firstly, instead of using the Rotate function to rotate the tetrahedron, I would recommend using the Graphics3D function. This will allow you to easily add the curved arrows and other elements to your display.

For example, you could use the following code to generate a Manipulate display with the tetrahedron and a curved arrow indicating the axis of rotation:

Manipulate[
Graphics3D[{
{Opacity[0.3], EdgeForm[None],
PolyhedronData["Tetrahedron", "Faces"]},
{Red, Thick, Arrow[{{0, 0, 0}, {0, 0, 1}}]},
{Text[
Style["Axis of Rotation", FontSize -> 14, Red], {0, 0, 1.2}]},
{Opacity[0.5],
GeometricTransformation[
PolyhedronData["Tetrahedron", "Faces"],
RotationTransform[angle, {0, 0, 1}]]}
},
Boxed -> False, ViewPoint -> Front,
PlotRange -> {{-1, 1}, {-1, 1}, {-1, 1}},
ImageSize -> Medium],
{{angle, 0}, -Pi, Pi, Pi/12}
]

This code uses the RotationTransform function to rotate the tetrahedron by the angle specified by the Manipulate slider. It also adds a red arrow and text to indicate the axis of rotation.

To add the second curved arrow, you could use the same approach but with a different rotation axis. For example, you could add the following code to your display to add a second arrow around the y-axis:

{Green, Thick, Arrow[{{0, 0, 0}, {0, 1, 0}}]},
{Text[Style["Axis of Rotation", FontSize -> 14, Green], {0, 1.2, 0}]},

As for drawing a plane perpendicular to a face of the tetrahedron, you could use the Polygon function to create a polygon with the coordinates of the face

1. How do you draw 3D curved arrows around an axis?

The first step is to determine the axis around which you want to draw the arrows. Then, using a 3D drawing software or by hand, carefully plot the arrows in a curved shape around the axis. Make sure to maintain the same distance between the arrows to create a uniform appearance.

2. What is the purpose of drawing 3D curved arrows around an axis?

Drawing 3D curved arrows around an axis is often used in scientific illustrations and diagrams to represent a three-dimensional structure or movement. It can also be used to show relationships or processes in a more visually appealing and easy-to-understand manner.

3. Are there any specific techniques for drawing 3D curved arrows around an axis?

One technique is to start by drawing a straight line representing the axis, and then use a protractor or compass to mark equal distances around the axis. Next, carefully draw the curved arrows connecting each of the marked points. Another technique is to use a 3D drawing software that has built-in tools for creating curved arrows.

4. Can 3D curved arrows be used in presentations or documents?

Yes, 3D curved arrows can be used in presentations or documents to add visual interest and aid in explaining complex concepts. They can be inserted as images or created using drawing tools within the presentation or document software.

5. Are there any limitations to drawing 3D curved arrows around an axis?

One limitation is that it can be challenging to draw precise and symmetrical curved arrows by hand, so using a 3D drawing software may be necessary for more complex illustrations. Additionally, using too many arrows or a cluttered design can make it difficult for viewers to understand the intended message.