Drawing Bode plots: I need to convert to s-domain - but how?

In summary, the student is trying to find the zeros and poles of a transfer function and is having trouble with the omega squared term. They are saved by using the rules of asymptotic Bode plots and are able to draw a Magnitude plot and Phase plot.
VinnyCee

Homework Statement

The question asks the reader to make a Bode plot for the following equation:

[tex]H(\omega)\,=\,\frac{50\left(j\omega\,+\,1\right)}{j\omega\left(-\omega^2\,+\,10j\omega\,+\,25\right)}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]j\omega\,=\,s[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]H(\omega)\,=\,\frac{50j\omega\,+\,50}{-j\omega^3\,+\,10\left(j\omega\right)^2\,+\,25j\omega}[/tex]

But how do I deal with the omega squared term in the denominator? If I can figure that, I can plug the num. and denom. into MATlab and it will plot the Bode plots for me!

[tex]H(\omega)\,=\,\frac{50s\,+\,50}{-s\omega^2\,+\,10s^2\,+\,25s}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
j is imaginary root of -1, jw^2=-w^2

That gives:

[tex]H(\omega)\,=\,\frac{50s\,+\,50}{\omega^3\,+\,10s^2\,+2s}[/tex]

What do I do with the omega cubed term now?

Your cube term should be [tex]-j\omega^3 = +j^3\omega^3 = s^3.[/tex] (because [tex]j^2 = -1[/tex])

thanks aleph, I should have noticed that.
so to the op, the denominator would then become s(s+5)^2, that looks much better.

Although converting to s-domain is the standard practice for doing this, we had a first semester (1st year) compulsory course on electrical science where we were taught how to draw Asymptotic Bode plots for such Transfer functions without using (explicitly) s-domain analysis methods. We would then write every factor as [itex](1 + j\omega/\alpha)[/itex] and note that

1. [itex](1 + j\omega/\alpha)[/itex] is a straight line which goes at 20db/decade starting from [itex]\omega = \alpha[/itex] (and for [itex]\omega < \alpha[/itex] is zero).

2. [itex]1/(1 + j\omega/\alpha)[/itex] is a straight line which goes at -20db/decade starting from [itex]\omega = \alpha[/itex] (and for [itex]\omega < \alpha[/itex] is zero).

(Thought I should post this here anyway--might be of some use to beginners learning to draw asymptotic Bode plots this way.)

OK, I put the transfer function into the following form:

[tex]H(\omega)\,=\,\frac{10\left(1\,+\,j\omega\right)}{-j\omega\left(1\,+\,\frac{j\omega}{5}\right)^2}[/tex]

I divided the equation by [itex]\frac{-5}{-1}[/itex] because it is the pole divided by the zero.

And I do something (I really don't know what it is I am doing though!) with the constant coefficient 10:

20 log 10 = 20

Now what?

The constant is just gain and on its own would be straight line with log amplitude of 1. So you have one, zero, a double pole, and an integrator (jw). (that should be positive BTW). So you are now ready to apply all rules.

This is a good site for summary of what to do with each:
http://www.swarthmore.edu/NatSci/echeeve1/Ref/LPSA/Bode/BodeHow.html

PS: I added a post to your lowpass circuit problem post suggesting if you're just getting started with these, that's a good one for practice.

Last edited:
OK, I have this now:

[tex]20\,log\,|H(\omega)|\,=\,20\,log\,10\,+\,20\,log\left(\left|1\,+\,\frac{j\omega}{1}\right|\right)\,-\,20\,log\,\left(\left|j\omega\right|\right)\,-\,20\,log\,\left(\left|1\,+\,\frac{j\omega}{5}\right|\right)\,-\,20\,log\,\left(\left|1\,+\,\frac{j\omega}{5}\right|\right)[/tex]

But I still don't understand why K = 1 if the 20 log 10 = 20.

sorry, for confusion, that was just the log, not expressed in decibels.

Cool, so the Magnitude plot starts at 20dB.

Now to draw dotted lines! The first term after the constant is a zero at frequency 1? How is that drawn?

The next term is an "integrator"? How do I draw that?

The last two terms are the double pole at frequency 5? I know that would be a -40dB/decade change. Right?

thats a pole at the origin. so slope -20 from the get go.

The lone jw term is a pole at the origin? So the plot starts out at 20dB and goes -20dB slope until frequency is 1? Then it goes to -60dB slope?

I see constant gain offset, pole at zero, than the zero (so slopes counteract for a ways) then dbl pole.

So, the resulting magnitude approximation would look like this?:

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/9598/magnitudewp4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe so, what does your Matlab plot look like?

Looks kind of like that. Now what about the phase plot?

Start at -90 degrees because of the pole at origin, then what for the zero and then what for the double pole at 5?

Last edited:
Count me out, those give me headaches,:yuck:

Seriously, the rules are all on the link I posted, that is really a wonderful site. If you spend a few minutes exploring it, you'll see all kinds of examples that cover all the elements in your transfer function, be happy to look it over once complete.

Thanks a lot!

hey no problem, it was good for me as well :!)

ie, review of material I haven't thought about in ages that I will need if I elect to go back to grad school.

1. What is the purpose of drawing Bode plots?

The purpose of drawing Bode plots is to visually represent the frequency response of a system. This allows us to analyze the system's stability, gain, and phase shift, and make adjustments if necessary.

2. What is the s-domain and why do I need to convert to it?

The s-domain is a mathematical representation of a system in the frequency domain. It is used to simplify the analysis of complex systems. Converting to the s-domain allows us to use algebraic methods to analyze the system's behavior.

3. How do I convert a Bode plot to the s-domain?

To convert a Bode plot to the s-domain, you will need to use the transfer function of the system. This function relates the output of the system to its input in the s-domain. By taking the inverse Laplace transform of the transfer function, you can obtain the time-domain representation of the system.

4. Can I draw a Bode plot without converting to the s-domain?

Yes, it is possible to draw a Bode plot without converting to the s-domain. However, this method is only applicable for simple systems with transfer functions that can be directly plotted on the frequency domain.

5. What are the key features to look for on a Bode plot?

The key features to look for on a Bode plot are the magnitude and phase plots. The magnitude plot shows the gain of the system at different frequencies, while the phase plot shows the phase shift of the system. These features can help us determine the stability and performance of the system.