Drawing circuits Physics 2

In summary, the conversation involves a request for help in drawing a circuit with a voltmeter and ammeter to measure voltage and current across a resistor. The individual is unsure about the placement of a power source and the correct setup for the meters. Examples found through Google show that the voltmeter should be connected in parallel and the ammeter in series.
mike88si

Homework Statement

make a drawing of a circuit, showing how a voltmeter is connected to measure the voltage across a resistor and how an Ammeter is connected to measure the current through a resistor.

Homework Equations

I'm not sure if I am suppose to draw a power source and if i do, I do not know where to put it. I think my voltmeter is correct (if I'm wrong please let me know) but I am really unsure about my ammeter set up. Do I need to have it set up in parallel or something? I did this lab a couple days ago and totally spaced out on how to draw it. The lab manual was no help and my teacher does not have any office hours before this is due. Any help is appreciated and thanks!

The Attempt at a Solution

lab.jpg

- Michael

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually, a circuit is closed and indeed contains a power source.

You are correct in how to include the meters in the circuit, which was the main part of the question, namely the volt meter goes in parallel and the amp meter in series. Therefore, let me post these two examples I found using Google:

http://www.gcsescience.com/Voltmeter.gif [Broken]
http://www.gcsescience.com/Ammeter.gif [Broken]

Hopefully this will help you to complete your drawing

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of drawing circuits in Physics 2?

Drawing circuits in Physics 2 allows us to visually represent the flow of electricity in a circuit. It helps us understand the behavior of different components and how they interact with each other.

2. How do I draw a circuit in Physics 2?

To draw a circuit in Physics 2, you will need to use symbols to represent different components such as resistors, batteries, and switches. These symbols can be found in a circuit diagram or can be learned from a reference sheet. You will also need to follow the rules of circuit drawing, such as using arrows to show the direction of current flow.

3. Can I draw a circuit without any prior knowledge of Physics 2?

While it is not necessary to have prior knowledge of Physics 2 to draw a circuit, it can be helpful to have a basic understanding of electrical concepts such as voltage, current, and resistance. However, with a reference sheet and some practice, anyone can learn to draw circuits in Physics 2.

4. Why is it important to draw accurate circuits in Physics 2?

Drawing accurate circuits in Physics 2 is important because it allows us to make predictions and calculations about the behavior of the circuit. If the circuit is not drawn accurately, the results may be incorrect, and it can lead to confusion and errors in understanding the concepts.

5. How can drawing circuits in Physics 2 help me in other areas of science?

Drawing circuits in Physics 2 can help you develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are essential in many areas of science. It also provides a foundation for understanding more complex electrical systems in fields such as engineering, technology, and even biology.