Drawing H-Bonded Structures: Dimers and Cyclics

• Thread starter MysticDude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drawing
In summary, the Homework Equations are H-bonded structures that contain F's and H's. The Attempt at a Solution struggled to find where to begin and found a Wikipedia article on dimers that was confusing. The Cyclic structure of methanol is made up of only two methanol groups and can be drawn using the forum as long as the methyl groups are added to the O's.
MysticDude
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Draw each of the following H-bonded structure (a) (HF)2 dimer; (b) (CH3OH)4 cyclic.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I truly don't know where to begin. I started by searching about dimers and found a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimer_%28chemistry%29" but that confused me even more. Are the drawings supposed to be like the crystal structure of H2O?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, H likes F so for (HF)2 put two H's around an F and put the other F in a position to bond to the same two H's in an identical fashion. Same thing goes for methanol but replace F with O... and stick a methyl group on the O's so that it doesn't interfere with the groovy coolness of the hydrogen bonding.

Wait so with (HF)2, would it be something like H--F~H--F? This is like [H--O--H]~[H--O--H].

Last edited:
No. Both F's must bond with both H's. It's not linear. Go in a more groovy direction...

So something like this(I hope the format stays):
H~~F
|...|
F~~H

This was the best way I could think of both Fs bonding with both Hs

Ignore the dots

Ohhhh! You found the groovy coolness! Nirvana!

AWESOME! Now onto (CH3OH)4 cyclic. This one will be hard to draw using the forum so I'll have to go to pictures, but I can use your help. I know how to draw the Lewis Structure, but I have no clue what cyclic is.

...H
...|
H--C--O--H
...|
...H

Just replace the F's with O's and add a methyl group to each O... dude!

Oh ok that's easy. But what is a cyclic though? I want to understand that! Oh and I am in no way trying to draw the Lewis Structure on the forum here lol. I mean I can but that would be annoying!
:D

Once you make the dimer of methanol, you will notice that the H-O-H-O square is a cyclic containing only two methanol groups. Can you draw one that has 4?

I'm thinking about it.
Would it be something like this?:
H~~O--H
|...~
|...O
|...|
|...H
|...~
O~~H--O

I understand that the diagram can be confusing, but I hope someone like you could understand me! Every O is connected to 2 H. I think that this would be correct.

And you think right.

That's good enough for the forum but you need to add the methyl groups to the O's for the assignment that you turn in.

What do you think about the entropy of cyclics going from dimers to trimers to quadramers, etc...?

chemisttree said:
That's good enough for the forum but you need to add the methyl groups to the O's for the assignment that you turn in.

What do you think about the entropy of cyclics going from dimers to trimers to quadramers, etc...?

Okay yeah I did that stuff for the problem. But your question is too complex as we have not studied that area in chemistry. I know what entropy is but your question is something that I have studied. But I thank you sooo much for helping me!

1. What are drawing dimers and cyclics?

Drawing dimers and cyclics is a method of representing molecules in a two-dimensional format. Dimers are molecules made up of two repeating units, while cyclics are molecules arranged in a ring or circular shape.

2. Why is it important to be able to draw dimers and cyclics?

Drawing dimers and cyclics allows scientists to visually represent complex molecules and their structure. This can aid in understanding the properties and behaviors of these molecules, as well as predicting their reactions and interactions with other molecules.

3. What are some common tools used for drawing dimers and cyclics?

There are various software programs and online tools available for drawing dimers and cyclics, such as ChemDraw and ChemSketch. Pencil and paper can also be used for hand-drawn representations.

4. How do you determine the correct placement of atoms and bonds in a dimer or cyclic drawing?

The placement of atoms and bonds in a dimer or cyclic drawing is based on the molecular formula and structural formula of the molecule. The structural formula shows the arrangement of atoms and bonds in the molecule, which can then be translated into a two-dimensional representation.

5. Are there any limitations to drawing dimers and cyclics?

While drawing dimers and cyclics is a useful tool, it does have some limitations. It is a simplified representation of three-dimensional molecules and may not accurately depict the actual shape and structure of the molecule. Additionally, some molecules may be too complex to be accurately represented in a two-dimensional format.