1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Drawing Free Body Diagrams with torque

1. May 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is a review problem i was given for my final exam tommorow, I am stuck on 1 problem, even with the answer key im not understanding it.(also sorry but the picture wont copy from MSword, but its a cylinder rolling up a hill)

(B) When the lander hits the surface, it eventually stops bouncing and finds itself rolling up the side of a crater wall inclined at an angle of theta, still wrapped in its airbags.

To a good first approximation, the lander is a uniform cylinder of mass M and radius R. The airbags can be thought of as forming a thin shelled sphere of radius r and mass m around the lander. Assume that the lander is rolling up the steepest incline possible without slipping. It terms of the given quantities, show a good step-by-step method to find out what the acceleration of the lander will be. Use g of Mars for the acceleration due to gravity on the surface of Mars.

Draw FBD
    ∑F ⃗ =ma ⃗

Direction of acceleration is down along the incline (+), direction of alpha=out of page
    ∑τ ⃗ =Iα ⃗

Forces parallel to the incline: +mg∙sin(theta)−fs=ma
    Forces perpendicular to incline: +FN − mg∙cos=0
    Torques about center of mass: fs∙r = I*alpha
    Moment of Inertia I = ½ MR2 + (2/3)∙mr2
    Rolling condition: a = r*alpha

Substitute and solve for a: a=(mg∙sinθ)/((I/r^2 +m))

2. Relevant equations

given above

3. The attempt at a solution

The part that i dont understand is how they are going from a = r*alpha to a=(mg∙sinθ)/((I/r^2 +m)), i am not seeing what they could be doing to get that answer. Any help is GREATLY appreciated, thanks.

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted