1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drawing free body diagrams

1. Apr 15, 2010 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2010 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This is a rather vague question. What exactly don't you know? The figure already shows you, in detail, what the FBD should look like. So where are you having a problem? When I had students who asked me a question like this, I often find that they're having problems with the mathematics, i.e. trig and geometry, and not the physics.

This is a standard school work. Start with the simpler form, such as a mass on a horizontal surface. Can you draw the FBD for that? In other words, show us what you already know, and we can work from there. It is the only way to figure out the source of your problem.

Zz.

4. Apr 15, 2010 #3
    Yes i can

I'm havin a prob with the imaginary line down the ramp , which is equilibruim with the normal force
    I dunno why do we suppose so.
    I don't know why should the angle of inclination of the ramp should equal the angle of inclination of the normal force

I think these are my problems

5. Apr 15, 2010 #4

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

When you draw free-body diagrams, what are the forces you include and don't include? What is the minimum annotation a free-body diagram must have?

6. Apr 15, 2010 #5
    I don't know

7. Apr 15, 2010 #6

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Read these:
    http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/newtlaws/u2l2c.cfm" [Broken]
    http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/vectors/u3l3e.cfm" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  8. Apr 16, 2010 #7
    This website is magnificent
    Thanks , my problem is solved now .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook