1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drawing Hasse Diagrams

1. Mar 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Draw the diagram P=(X,P) where X={1,2,3,5,6,10,15,30} and x<y in P IFF x divides y.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    We just started this discussion in class and I am really not getting the concept of how to draw the corresponding Hasse diagram. I know that I am supposed to start with the smallest x for which x<y and for which there does not exist a z such that x<z<y. However, I don't know whether that should be a single element or an ordered pair when I list it on the diagram. I also know that I am only supposed to draw an edge if x is the preceding element to y. Anyway, that is pretty much all I understand about this concept. I appreciate any help in explanation of this concept.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

There's an article in wikipedia--http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasse_diagram. [Broken] Maybe that will serve as a starting point for you.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook