Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drawing painting

1. Jan 11, 2006 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2006 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

4. Jan 11, 2006 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

My advice:

Sketch them by hand. Finish in marker. Scan the black & white. Colour on the computer.

If you're hoping to actually use a computer to draw them freehand, well - good luck to you.

5. Jan 11, 2006 #4

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

You'd be suprised how well some people can draw freehand with a mouse. It is pretty amazing.

If you don't feel confortable with a mouse, try a watcom tablet.

http://www.wacom.com/index2.cfm

6. Jan 11, 2006 #5

Danger

Gold Member

I've always used Illustrator (first 6, then 8; I bought 10, then found out that the stupid thing won't work on my system, so it'll have to wait until I upgrade). I've really missed having it, since my computer is still at my old place and neither this one (N/W's) nor the one at work have any art stuff. Thanks for the link, Dduardo. I've downloaded it, but haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

7. Jan 11, 2006 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Yes, I am an artist illustrator myself and I have a tablet. But to meet the OP's needs, he should maximize his ability at sketching and then maximize his ability to modify it - he should go with the tools that do their job best. A pencil for initial illo, and a computer for modification and finishing.

You want a tool that doesn't interfere with the creative process. you don't want to burn through brain cycles concentrating on the interface of the tool itself.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2006
  8. Jan 11, 2006 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Despite the badge, this isn't a joke. I sometimes go with the "poor man's tablet"; I freehand what I want on the monitor with a dry-erase pen and trace it with the mouse. I can't move it or scale it until I'm finished, of course, but it can come in handy in a pinch. :approve:

9. Jan 11, 2006 #8
  10. Jan 11, 2006 #9

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Last edited: Jan 11, 2006
  11. Jan 12, 2006 #10

Danger

Gold Member

Dduardo, can you possibly assist me here? I need a plain English explanation of what might be wrong. When I installed Inkscape on N/W's computer and tried to run it, the following message came up:
    Pango-ERROR**.file shape.C:line 75(pango_shape): assertion failed:(glyphs->num_glyphs>0)
    aborting

When I clicked the 'OK' button in the dialogue box, it repeated the above message and added:
    Pango-WARNING(recursed)**. Couldn't load font "MS Sans Serif 8" falling back to 'Sans 8'
    aborting

I re-downloaded and reinstalled it with all of the translators except for English and Russian deselected, and exactly the same thing happened again. Any idea what's wrong and how to fix it?
    If it matters, it's an HP with Celeron processor. I think that her Windows version is Millenium, but I can't check for sure until I get home from work tonight. Thanks.
    PS: I suspect that it's a hardware problem, because that machine is terribly slow and freezes up a lot.

12. Jan 12, 2006 #11

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

13. Jan 12, 2006 #12

Danger

Gold Member

Thanks, man. That saved me a lot of messing around and cursing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?