Drawing phase portrait

In summary, the conversation discusses how to draw a phase portrait from linearization of a nonlinear differential equation with specific eigenvalues and an equilibrium point. The steps involve computing the eigenvectors, drawing them through the equilibrium point, and checking the direction of x' on both sides. There are also two equilibrium points, one being a spiral sink which is drawn as a circular arc going clockwise. Finally, the trajectory between the two equilibriums is drawn to complete the phase portrait.
MaxManus

Homework Statement

I want to draw a phase portrait from linearization of a nonlinear differential equation with eigenvalues l1 =1 and l2= -1.
With equilibrium in (2,2)

x' = y-x
y' = (x-1)(y-2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I compute the eigenvectors v1 = [0;1] v2 = [1;2]
I then draw v1 as a horizontal line through the point (2,2).
I then check the direction of x' to left and to the right of (2,2). F.ex x = 0 y = 2, then x' = 2. x = 3, y = 2, then x' = -1. So the direction on both sides are against the (2,2)

Then I draw v2. I draw a straight line through (2,2) and (3,4). and check the direction to the left and to the right of (2,2). x = 1, y = 0, then x' = -1 and y' = 0, something wrong hear?, x = 3, y = 4, x' = 1 and y = 4. So the direction on both sides are away from (2,2)

Is this the right idea for drawing phase portraits?

Edit: There are two equilibrium points. The second one is a spiral sink in (1,1) which goes clockwise

Physics news on Phys.org
. To draw the phase portrait, I will draw the eigenvectors v1 and v2 through the equilibrium point (2,2). v1 = [0;1] and v2 = [1;2]. I will draw v1 as a horizontal line through the point (2,2). I will then check the direction of x' to left and to the right of (2,2). F.ex x = 0 y = 2, then x' = 2. x = 3, y = 2, then x' = -1. So the direction on both sides are against the (2,2)Then I draw v2. I draw a straight line through (2,2) and (3,4). and check the direction to the left and to the right of (2,2). x = 1, y = 0, then x' = -1 and y' = 0, something wrong hear?, x = 3, y = 4, x' = 1 and y = 4. So the direction on both sides are away from (2,2)I then draw the spiral sink at the (1,1). I will draw a circular arc centered at (1,1) and going clockwise. I will then check the direction of x' to left and to the right of (1,1). For example, x = 0 y = 1, x' = 1 and y' = 0. x = 2, y = 1, then x' = -1 and y' = 0. So the direction on both sides are away from (1,1). Finally, I draw the trajectory between the two equilibriums, connecting the two eigenvectors. This is the correct idea for drawing a phase portrait.

What is a drawing phase portrait?

A drawing phase portrait is a visual representation of the behaviors and trajectories of a system of differential equations. It is a graph that shows how the variables in the system change over time.

Why is drawing phase portrait important?

Drawing phase portraits allows scientists to gain insight into the dynamics and stability of a system. It helps in understanding the relationships between variables and identifying any potential equilibrium points or patterns.

What are the steps involved in drawing a phase portrait?

The first step is to identify the variables and their relationships in the system. Then, determine the equilibrium points and their stability. Next, plot the trajectories by choosing different initial conditions. Finally, connect the trajectories to create the phase portrait.

What are the different types of equilibrium points in a phase portrait?

There are three types of equilibrium points: stable, unstable, and semi-stable. A stable equilibrium point is where the system tends to return to after a disturbance. An unstable equilibrium point is where the system moves away from after a disturbance. A semi-stable equilibrium point is where the system oscillates around after a disturbance.

Can a phase portrait predict the long-term behavior of a system?

No, a phase portrait only shows the behaviors of a system for a specific set of initial conditions. It cannot predict the long-term behavior of a system as it does not take into account external influences or changes in parameters over time.