Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drawing pixels in a window in Windows

1. Dec 9, 2004 #1

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I need to implement a sort of "framebuffer in a window" for a digital video application I'm working on. I need the window to be displayed alongside other windows (running Windows XP) and get along nicely with other windows on the desktop. The window will display the pixel data in an arbitrary framebuffer. I need the solution to be as efficient as possible, as I'm hoping to display full-motion color standard-resolution TV.

I roughly know the terms "device context" and "overlay," but I'm not sure how to proceed, or even if I'm supposed to be using overlays, or DirectX, or what. MSDN.com provides inspiring glimpses, but I largely cannot make heads or tails of what to do. I know it can be done, because, well, lots of applications do it.

- Warren

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2004 #2
    Create a Win32 or MFC application and the framework will take care of that for you.

Have you considered integrating Windows Media Player into your application? That is the easiest way to accomplish what you want. Otherwise you'll have to write it from scratch and deal with DirectX, OpenGL or some video library.

4. Dec 10, 2004 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wave,

Sorry, but both of those suggestions are very poor, as they do not even approach the efficiency I need. (Think high-end video game efficiency.)

I discovered that the correct way to go about doing this is to use DIB (device independent bitmaps) and blit the bitmaps to the primary surface.

- Warren

5. Dec 10, 2004 #4
    I thought you wanted digital video playback. Consider DDB if efficiency is what you're looking for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?