Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drawing Schematics

1. Feb 14, 2009 #1
    What is a half decent schematic drawing s/w suitable for posting on PF? --and costs nothing? :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2009 #2

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

4. Feb 14, 2009 #3

Averagesupernova

Gold Member

I use Eagle and like the free version of it. The schematic to PC board capture has limitations but it is free so I don't complain. I found it easy to learn.

5. Feb 14, 2009 #4
    It would just be for drawing pretty pictures, so the capture option is a don't-care.

But I failed to mention that the output would have to be compatable with PF, or acceptable to something like Excel for pasting into a cell.

6. Feb 14, 2009 #5
    you can always printscreen, paste into a freebie image editor like irfanview, crop, save as jpg/gif, and upload to tinypic/imageshack/photobucket.

7. Feb 15, 2009 #6

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

But CAM-processed stuff is so much nicer! I also recall being able to copy and paste PSPICE student edition stuff directly from the program and into Word for lab reports. Speaking of old undergrad days, I had a prof who just drew his diagrams (for problem sets and what not) in Adobe Illustrator from a set of template parts (resistors, BJTs, etc.) that he had made. I believe you can also do something similar in AutoCAD.

8. Feb 15, 2009 #7
    you could probably do that with a lot of programs, like maybe Vizio or something similar. keep all your drawing primitives on a grid and you could just snap things together.

9. Feb 15, 2009 #8
    Printscreen never occured to me. But you are right. I've a host of image editors to choose to get a gif format.

I've been balking at using autoCad. Everytime I use it I need retraining. :uhh: But I need something --electronics is very pictorial in the context of communicating here.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  10. Feb 15, 2009 #9

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook