1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drawing v-s graph from a-s one

1. Mar 4, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The a-s graph given below belongs to a bus travelling along a straight road.Given that the velocity of the bus is 10 m/s when s=0, plot the v-s graph of the bus.

2. Relevant equations

∫vdv=∫ads or 1/2(v2^2-v1^1)=(area under a-s curve.

3. The attempt at a solution

Finding the area of the graph I can find the final velocity, but I can not approach drawing the graphs as I do not know how to draw it from a-s graph.I thought to find the slope of the a with respect to s, then to integrate it to find a formula for v, but that should be with respect to time. Please can you direct me to find the correct solution?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2014 #2
    Integrating what I've written above, I got 1/2(v2^2-(10)^2= 300 , and going further v2=square root of 700. I just have to find how does the curve or line of velocity changes with position.

4. Mar 4, 2014 #3
    You already have it and you just don't know it. You have v2 at the final distance. That will be one point on your v-s graph. Just don't integrate all the way out to the end. Integrate only up to specific values of s, and get the v values that go along with those s values. Make a table of the v's and the s's. Then plot up the points.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted