DREAD Weapon System: Military Grade Weaponry for ICBM Defense?

• Thread starter sid_galt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the conversation discusses a questionable weapon that claims to have no recoil and be able to fire projectiles at incredibly high speeds. There are doubts about its feasibility and concerns about its power requirements. Some believe it to be a hoax, while others suggest it could be a dangerous project.
Engineering news on Phys.org
Conceptually, it isn't all that different from a railgun, in that it is firing inert slugs instead of self-propelled ones. The idea that there is "no recoil" must be an exaggeration. Equal and opposite reactions and all that, which isn't to say that it might be low recoil because it isn't using more force than it needs. Likewise "frictionless" is probably an exaggeration. Unless you've got object controlled by electric fields in a vacuum, you don't have frictionless, and that doesn't seem to be the concept here.

I'd imagine that such a system would be pretty finicky in its fire control system. Getting a round to where you want it to go, when it is traveling at a high rate of speed for fairly long distances requires an ecquistitely fine touch at the point where the projectile exits the system.

Another big issue, of course, is how much power would be required. It doesn't sound like the weight figures cited include a generator, and if it is operating on electrical power, presumably those power demands are substantial. The power requirements may be less than a railgun, as it sounds as if you would have far more time to spin up the projectiles to speed, but the energy requirements ought to be similar.

It certainly seems possible to me that a centerfuge concept might end up being more prmising than the railgun concepts currently being pursued for the DD(X) and FCS.

There are a number of things that make me skeptical of it, and the first is the no-recoil thing. However, "throwing" the projectiles with a centrifuge means the recoil is just the start-up torque of the centrifuge. But that creates another problem - how long does this thing take to turn on?

And how on Earth do they plan on using it on satellites? Why not just use a laser if your going to be that dumb about it.

The owner had a brochure that was available on the defense review website and made a few claims that were physically impossible, regardless of the level of advanced technology used in the design of this hoax. Number one, the brochure said "no recoil", end quote. I brought this up on the defense review website and received a BS answer by the supposed "St. George" who is the inventor. I refer you to the website to see specifically what I asked and what he answered. Secondly, the power requirement would be something on the order of megawatts, and the brochure says 150 watts average. Lastly, the ballistic characteristics of golf-ball-like projectiles would make them utterly useless beyond a very short distance. By the response I got and the inter-relation between the website administrator of defensereview.com and the mysterious St. George, I suspect that they are one in the same and this hoax was just created for some attention for childish people who have a website that feebly attempts to 'look official'. Just look at the rest of the website and you will see what I mean. It's trailer trash.

Having thoroughly read the previous posts now, I cannot sit by and allow this nonsense to continue. Yes, I know I just signed up here and am new to the forum, but you need to listen. This system advertises claims that violate the basic laws of physics. Use the density of steel, the volume of a .308 or .50 cal sphere, the claimed 120,000 rounds per minute at 8,000 feet per second and you will get a power requriement that exceeds the advertised 150 watts. In fact, it's megawatts. And NO, repeat NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, the recoil is NOT just the startup torque of the centrifuge. NO, NO, NO. Go back and read your PHYSICS book! Momentum MUST be conserved. Energy MUST be conserved. This thing is a HOAX!

Yes. There's no doubt it's either a hoax or a very naieve individual. Let's not get too worked up about this. If we're lucky he''l try to build one and hurt himself in the process.

1. What is the DREAD Weapon System?

The DREAD Weapon System is a military grade weapon system designed specifically for intercepting and destroying intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs). It utilizes advanced technology to accurately detect and track ICBMs, and then launches kinetic projectiles to destroy them.

2. How does the DREAD Weapon System work?

The DREAD Weapon System operates through a series of sensors, radars, and computers that work together to detect and track incoming ICBMs. Once an ICBM is detected, the system calculates its trajectory and launches kinetic projectiles to intercept and destroy it before it reaches its target.

3. What makes the DREAD Weapon System different from other missile defense systems?

The DREAD Weapon System is unique in its use of kinetic projectiles, rather than traditional intercepting missiles. This allows for a more accurate and effective interception of ICBMs, as well as a lower cost and reduced risk of collateral damage.

4. How effective is the DREAD Weapon System?

The DREAD Weapon System has been extensively tested and has shown to have a high success rate in intercepting and destroying ICBMs. However, its effectiveness also depends on various factors such as the number of incoming missiles and the accuracy of the system's detection and tracking capabilities.

5. Is the DREAD Weapon System currently in use?

The DREAD Weapon System is currently in development and has not yet been deployed for military use. However, it is being actively tested and is expected to be integrated into the defense systems of various countries in the near future.