Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dream Jobs

1. Aug 26, 2004 #1
    So what jobs are out there that pay quite a lot of money.... heh just wondering =-P... does anyone know of anything realistic...

What would you need to study to get into something like that....

Please dont say.. do what you want to do the most.. =-/ what if thats making money...

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2004 #2
    Hugh Hefner's heir.

Hmm, designing robots might be fun, if I could do my own thing and get LOTS of funding.

4. Aug 26, 2004 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Law and Medicine are both quite monetarily rewarding - after you get past the initial slog.

5. Aug 26, 2004 #4
    I thought videogame testing was all guys dream job. I know its mine :smile: :smile:

6. Aug 26, 2004 #5
    I'd love to design and program games. Lucky for me I can do this in my spare time

7. Aug 26, 2004 #6
    Dream job = Lot of money job :confused: :grumpy: :mad:
    com'on you are not that naiv !
    My dream job is Nobel Prize :rolleyes: :tongue2: that's a lot of monay too :wink:

8. Aug 26, 2004 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Euphoriet, you will find that doing what you enjoy will far outweigh making more money doing something you dislike. Trust me.

9. Aug 26, 2004 #8

jimmy p

Gold Member

Beer tester.

10. Aug 26, 2004 #9

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Professional shopper!

11. Aug 26, 2004 #10
    Pro athletes make large amounts of money. Whether your sport is golf, baseball, swimming, hockey, football, soccer, you'll be well paid. Salary depends on the interest of the sport in your country.

Lawyers and Doctors make a good salary. They don't exactly have easy jobs though.

The guys that make the most money, with the most benefits are usually businessmen or Executives for large companies. Salaries easily exceed $100,000US, with medical insurance, stock options etc. Of course, it takes awhile to get to these positions. You have to get noticed, be a great worker, and luck. If you manage to reach the CEO, Vice President, Director, CFO positions (upper management), you'll be very well paid.

I know a lot of people that dislike their jobs, but it doesn't matter to them. When they aren't working, they can enjoy their fat paychecks. Either taking a ride in their Benz, skiing during the weekend, or enjoying front row seats at their favourite sporting event.

Being rich is much better than being poor. That's no secret.

It's much easier making $200,000 with a career that wasn't your childhood dream than making $20,000 with a job you like.

You'll realize this when you aren't in debt, and you don't have to worry about how you're going to pay next month's bills.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2004
  12. Aug 26, 2004 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Surely, you mean taster ? What's to test ?

13. Aug 26, 2004 #12
    A photojournalist sounds pretty cool. You get to travel, have adventures, take pictures and get paid. It's also fairly respectable and there is a chance to be famous.

14. Aug 26, 2004 #13
    Nobody mentioned politician. What's more respectable than answering, "I'm the Mayor of New York", when asked what you do for a living. Sure, professions like Physician and Lawyer are respectable - but there's only 1 Mayor of New York city or L.A.

Another extremely respected profession would probably be Astronaut. You can't really beat that job. You have to be intelligent, athletic and a critical thinker.

But being a successful Politician would be awesome. You get a decent pay with loads of benefits.

I knew a guy who tested Video Games. He said that the job wasn't fun and enjoyable like he thought it would be - in fact, the opposite. He said there is a lot of pressure and he is always stressed out.

After testing a video game, he would give his opinion and report problems. If he said the game was great, the game better be great. If the company releases the game, and it received bad ratings from magazines or achieved low sales, he would be in trouble. The company was not hesitant to fire the testers for their mistakes.

15. Aug 27, 2004 #14
    Dont engineers make quite an amount as well?

16. Aug 27, 2004 #15

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Engineers are upper middle-class. They have few opportunities to get downright rich, but they won't have many financial worries.

- Warren

17. Aug 27, 2004 #16
    On average, not as much as a Doctors, Lawyers, Executives.

BLS.org

Lawyers
    In 2002, the median annual earnings of all lawyers was $90,290. The middle half of the occupation earned between $61,060 and $136,810. The lowest paid 10 percent earned less than $44,490; at least 10 percent earned more than $145,600.

Electrical Engineers
    Median annual earnings of electrical engineers were $68,180 in 2002. The middle 50 percent earned between $54,550 and $84,670. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $44,780, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $100,980.

Mechanical Engineers
    Median annual earnings of mechanical engineers were $62,880 in 2002. The middle 50 percent earned between $50,800 and $78,040. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $41,490, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $93,430.

Top Executives:

General and operations managers

Chief executives

Legislators

They also note that Physicians that run a general practice make $150,267 (all figures in US).

I'd also like to ask how people know they'll enjoy their job? A person may enjoy microbiology, but would they enjoy doing it as a profession? I read that Microbiology had high suicide rates. I'm assuming Microbiologists chose the profession due to interest in the field.

There isn't much of a guarantee that you'll love doing your job.

18. Aug 27, 2004 #17
    Lucky you're not in Australia. One of my engineering associates from Monash uni. works in Subway. Another plays with greasy bits in a factory all day, for rather poor wages. It all depends what branch of engineering, and how lucky you are with the job interviews.

19. Aug 27, 2004 #18

jimmy p

Gold Member

There is so much more to beer than taste. How about how quickly hand-eye coordination becomes a thing of the past, is it strong enough to make you want to go home and beat your wife (kidding, but Stella Artois, you deserve the name Wifebeater). Is it appealing to the foreign market? How long does it take the beer to go through you so you need to relieve yourself... that one is also linked to hand-eye coordination :yuck:

Beer testing is a science, not an art.

20. Aug 27, 2004 #19
    Umm... well about the video games... I heard it wasnt fun anymore.. like you said.. it cant be fun if you call it work.. and it is basically work.

ps: I have noticed that Chief executives usually make a lot of money... but it takes at least 10 years to get there.... and I always wonder what this people do while they get up there?....

Last edited: Aug 27, 2004
  21. Aug 27, 2004 #20

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited: Aug 27, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?