Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dreaming about math

1. Dec 11, 2011 #1
    I find it strange that I would experience this and that I would be the one out of everyone to start asking around since I've mentioned in previous posts that I am rather math handicapped...

Yea. So in late elementary and early junior high was the first time this happened. I would start dreaming about math problems on the topic of recent material. Even back then when I hated math I remember the instances when I did dream about it, I enjoyed it. I enjoyed it because my head was so clear to think about things unlike during the day where is just so difficult to focus on the stuff.

I still sometimes dream about math but in more detail than I used to. I used to just think about subjects in my sleep, now I THINK (from what I can remember from the dreams :) ) I am begining to try and solve problems as supposed to just thinking about concepts.

I've also noticed that sometimes, if I struggle with s problem, even for an hour because I am at a silly roadblock of some sort that I can't immediately see, the moment I climb into bed my mind also clears. I can visualize my paper so well and step by step go through a problem much more calmly and the result is that I solve it in a minute, compared to the hour I just spent on it (this just happened yesterday and so it gave me the push to post about it here lol )

Im sure there are many like me here in some regard. What have you learned from this behaviour? Has it helped you figure out what kind of learning works good/bad? Share what you can!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2011 #2
    This has happened to me before , strange new symbols and logic would be introduced into my dreams , often I try to remember but I seldom succeed at it.

4. Dec 11, 2011 #3

jhae2.718

Gold Member

I proved Fermat's Last Theorem in my sleep but the margin was too small.

5. Dec 12, 2011 #4
    That sort of thing used to happen to me all the time until I took an arrow in the knee...

6. Dec 13, 2011 #5
    This happens to me a lot- it often keeps me awake if I have a very tantalising maths problem to solve. But then when I try and write down what I've just been thinking in bed I usually realise that what I'd just been thinking makes absolutely no sense.

7. Dec 13, 2011 #6

Deveno

Science Advisor

i dreamed the other night that everyone i knew was an anti-symmetric matrix. i kept warning them that their diagonals were all 0, but they paid me no heed.

8. Dec 13, 2011 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That's a skewed vision of reality :biggrin:

9. Dec 13, 2011 #8
    I wish I could dream about math, sounds really fun haha

10. Dec 13, 2011 #9
    I like this comment very very much:
    Elliptic curves man, crazy stuff to dream about.

11. Dec 13, 2011 #10
    I see what you did there.

12. Dec 13, 2011 #11
    I dreamed that my girlfriend and I got into a huge argument because she was claiming closed intervals in R weren't compact.

13. Dec 13, 2011 #12

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Did you ask her what topology she worked with??

14. Dec 13, 2011 #13
    ^Brilliant! I like it^

Also, +1 for having a girlfriend with whom it is not unreasonable to talk about math!

15. Dec 13, 2011 #14
    I used to be an adventurer like you...

16. Dec 14, 2011 #15

radou

Homework Helper

It was still a dream. :wink:

17. Dec 14, 2011 #16
    I dreamed about math in graduate school a few times but it was always repetitive attempts to apply the same dumb, wrong techniques.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook