• Thread starter Turtle
  • Start date
hypnagogue
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Originally posted by russ_watters
Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope.

Let's not be so cavalier, Russ. I'm not saying that there aren't a lot of people spreading misinformation about psychic phenomena and giving the idea a bad name, or that well-conducted studies that show positive results are necessarily a validation of the existence of psi. But there are serious, scientific studies conducted on this, and sometimes there are positive results. Could the positive results be the results of some flaw in the experiment? Of course, but just because we have an explanation that fits into the current paradigm doesn't automatically mean it's the right one.

The current paradigm has no satisfactory explanation for consciousness either, but consciousness self-evidently exists, and yet every so often people will go to the ridiculous length of denying even the existence of consciousness because it cannot be plugged intelligibly into the current understanding. But if people will go so far as to deny the existence of consciousness, I suppose it should not be so surprising that some would fail to even entertain the possibility of psi existing.

I am not trying to get anyone to believe in psi, only to recognize the possibility-- a possibility that certainly has not been ruled out altogether, however terribly unlikely it might seem from our current vantage point.

You wouldn't need to understand WHY to see it happening.

You would need to understand why it occurs to be able to develop the ability to the point where you could do outrageous things like predict the winning lottery numbers at will. We wouldn't have been able to build a functioning Boeing 747 if we never understood the principles of flight. Perhaps a more apt example, you need to understand the principles of nutrition and muscle training if you ever hope to unlock the maximum muscular potential of your body. If you have not even the foggiest notion of how the body works, you may be vaguely muscular naturally, but nowhere close to where you could be.

My dreams were not of murders, but of events that are that have no importance.

There is no evidence for psychic phenomenon, perhaps because the human mind is unable to do it.

russ_watters
Mentor

Originally posted by hypnagogue
But there are serious, scientific studies conducted on this, and sometimes there are positive results.
I would be happy to read and comment on whatever you can provide. One note however: I am a real stickler for credibility in my sources.
I am not trying to get anyone to believe in psi, only to recognize the possibility-- a possibility that certainly has not been ruled out altogether, however terribly unlikely it might seem from our current vantage point.
Ask Ivan what I think of the 'anything is possible' view - when something seems "terribly unlikely" it does more harm than good to recognize that the possibility exists. Sorry, until there is some credible evidence (like I said, I'll gladly read some) I (and most scientists) will not consider the possibility.

Dreams

Hey Turtle I didn't say all my dreams were like that. I too have see some things that seem unimportant. Just because something seems trivel, it's not. Reason, The small things keep the mind wondering, how or why. It keeps your mind open. The more a puzzel is placed in front of a human, the more determinded one becomes to figure it out.

Russ: I understand your point from a scienctist view. There's no proof only people's word that it does exist. Oh darn that sounds like religion. All I can say is that it does exist. I've looked at it from every sciencetific standard I can think of. There's something there, we just don't have a grasp for it, not yet anyway.

russ_watters
Mentor

Originally posted by tomahawk
Russ: I understand your point from a scienctist view. There's no proof only people's word that it does exist. Oh darn that sounds like religion. All I can say is that it does exist. I've looked at it from every sciencetific standard I can think of. There's something there, we just don't have a grasp for it, not yet anyway.
If you've looked at it scientifically, then you have all you need to publish a scientific paper on it. Do it. Or at least send it to a psychology prof at a university (find a few through google) and ask them to evaluate it. I suspect you will find they say it is not up scientifically acceptable research standards.