How long does it take an electron to travel 150 km on a copper cable?

In summary, to determine the time it takes for one electron to travel the full length of a 150 km long high-voltage transmission line with a diameter of 2.0 cm and a steady current of 1030 A, we use the equation I= nq(vd)A and solve for the drift speed (vd). However, the cross-sectional area (A) must be the area of the cable's diameter, not the surface area of the cylinder. Once we have the drift speed, we can use the equation Q=(nAvdt)q to determine the time (dt) it takes for an electron to travel the given distance (dx) at that speed.
goWlfpack

Homework Statement

A 150 km long high-voltage transmission line 2.0 cm in diameter carries a steady current of 1030 A. If the conductor is copper with a free charge density of 8.9 1028 electrons per cubic meter, how many years does it take one electron to travel the full length of the cable?

Homework Equations

I= nq(vd)A

where A is the area
vd is the drift speed
n is the charge density
and I is the current

The Attempt at a Solution

SO we are solving for the drift speed so i thought this equation would work. i found the area first using surface area of a cylinder 2pir^2+2pirh and i got 18840.0025 because i converted cm and km both to m.
then i plugged everything else in and the answer was wrong
:(

oh yea and i used -1 for the q which is the charge. i assumed -1 b/c they are electrons

Physics news on Phys.org
goWlfpack said:

Homework Statement

A 150 km long high-voltage transmission line 2.0 cm in diameter carries a steady current of 1030 A. If the conductor is copper with a free charge density of 8.9 1028 electrons per cubic meter, how many years does it take one electron to travel the full length of the cable?

Homework Equations

I= nq(vd)A

where A is the area
vd is the drift speed
n is the charge density
and I is the current

The Attempt at a Solution

SO we are solving for the drift speed so i thought this equation would work. i found the area first using surface area of a cylinder 2pir^2+2pirh and i got 18840.0025 because i converted cm and km both to m.
then i plugged everything else in and the answer was wrong
:(

oh yea and i used -1 for the q which is the charge. i assumed -1 b/c they are electrons

wrong area. you want the cross-sectional area only.

ok so I am not solving for drift speed, I am slving for delta t... so now the equations I am trying are Q=(nA(x)) q

and then Q=(nAvdt)q

ok so now I've got an A of the cross section which is pir^2... i got .001256
so i multiplied that by 8.9*10^28 and then multiplie that by 150000m .. to get the charge. then i divide the charge by the current to get the time.. still wrong though.. any ideas

solve for the drift velocity (v). How long does if take for an electron moving at v to travel [itex]\delta x=150000m[/itex]? I.e., what's [itex]\delta t[/itex] in terms of [itex]\delta x[/itex] and v.

1. What is drift speed on copper cable?

Drift speed on copper cable is the average speed at which electrons move through the copper wire. It is measured in meters per second.

2. How is drift speed on copper cable calculated?

The drift speed on copper cable is calculated by dividing the current (in amperes) by the cross-sectional area of the copper wire (in square meters) and then dividing by the number of free electrons in the wire.

3. What factors affect the drift speed on copper cable?

The drift speed on copper cable is affected by the amount of current flowing through the wire, the cross-sectional area of the wire, and the temperature of the wire.

4. Why is drift speed on copper cable important?

Drift speed on copper cable is important because it helps us understand the behavior of electricity in a circuit and how quickly it can travel through a wire. It also affects the efficiency and performance of electronic devices.

5. How does drift speed on copper cable differ from other materials?

The drift speed on copper cable is relatively high compared to other materials, such as aluminum or steel, due to the high number of free electrons in copper. This makes copper a preferred material for electrical wiring and transmission of electricity.