1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drift speed

1. Sep 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 150 km long high-voltage transmission line 2.0 cm in diameter carries a steady current of 1030 A. If the conductor is copper with a free charge density of 8.9 1028 electrons per cubic meter, how many years does it take one electron to travel the full length of the cable?

2. Relevant equations

I= nq(vd)A

where A is the area
    vd is the drift speed
    n is the charge density
    and I is the current

3. The attempt at a solution

SO we are solving for the drift speed so i thought this equation would work. i found the area first using surface area of a cylinder 2pir^2+2pirh and i got 18840.0025 because i converted cm and km both to m.
    then i plugged everything else in and the answer was wrong
    :(

oh yea and i used -1 for the q which is the charge. i assumed -1 b/c they are electrons

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2008 #2

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

wrong area. you want the cross-sectional area only.

4. Sep 20, 2008 #3
    ok so im not solving for drift speed, im slving for delta t... so now the equations im trying are Q=(nA(x)) q

and then Q=(nAvdt)q

5. Sep 20, 2008 #4
    ok so now i've got an A of the cross section which is pir^2.... i got .001256
    so i multiplied that by 8.9*10^28 and then multiplie that by 150000m .. to get the charge. then i divide the charge by the current to get the time.. still wrong though.. any ideas

6. Sep 20, 2008 #5

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

solve for the drift velocity (v). How long does if take for an electron moving at v to travel [itex]\delta x=150000m[/itex]? I.e., what's [itex]\delta t[/itex] in terms of [itex]\delta x[/itex] and v.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?