Drinking a Coke: Earth vs. Moon and Atmospheric Pressure Explained

• Thread starter pmp!
  • Start date
Air works the same way.In summary, the conversation discusses whether it would be easier to drink a coke with a straw on Earth or on the moon due to atmospheric pressure. It is determined that it would be easier on the moon due to the lack of atmospheric pressure. The upward motion of the coke through the straw is caused by the low pressure created when air is sucked out. Further discussion delves into the role of air pressure and other soda particles in this process, as well as the boiling point of liquids at different pressures and temperatures.
pmp!
When I drink a coke with a straw would it be easier on Earth or on the moon? How is the atmospheric pressure involved here? Could you explain the process? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think?

on the moon becuase the moon has less mass. Its not that difficult to figure out

Sounds like homework. What are your thoughts?

[ EDIT ]Geez. I blinked...

I would say even that it would be impossible on the moon, since there is no atmosphere, thus no pressure, so the coke cannot ascend through the straw. Is it correct?
Why is it possible on Earth? When one sucks the air of the straw, why does the coke ascend, what is the origin of that upward force?

pmp! said:
I would say even that it would be impossible on the moon, since there is no atmosphere, thus no pressure, so the coke cannot ascend through the straw. Is it correct?
Why is it possible on Earth? When one sucks the air of the straw, why does the coke ascend, what is the origin of that upward force?

It would be easier on the moon asuming you were in a capsle where there was air you could breath. The reason coke comes up a straw when you suck is you are taking out air. This makes a low pressure and the coke tries to fill in the low pressure by going up the straw.

pmp! said:
Sounds good to me.
Reread your first sentence above! I think you almost have it.

But in the Earth situation, I suck through the straw and take out the air that is above and exerting a pressure, on the surface of the coke, that is inside the straw. So is it the particles that are below the ones at the surface that exert pressure on them, thus an upward force that makes them to ascend through the straw. Is it correct?

pmp! said:
But in the Earth situation, I suck through the straw and take out the air that is above and exerting a pressure, on the surface of the coke, that is inside the straw. So is it the particles that are below the ones at the surface that exert pressure on them, thus an upward force that makes them to ascend through the straw. Is it correct?
I think you've got it. Here's how I'd put it: You don't really "suck" the soda up the straw, it's air pressure that pushes it up.

Is it the air pressure or the pressure of the other soda particles? The air pressure is downward, I think, so it cannot provide an upward force.

pmp! said:
Is it the air pressure or the pressure of the other soda particles? The air pressure is downward, I think, so it cannot provide an upward force.
The air pressure is transmitted to the soda. (Consider Pascal's principle.)

Would you mind explaining it more detailed? Please.

It seems like we're neglecting the fact that without an atmosphere, the coke would boil away and there wouldn't be anything left to suck up. But maybe that's what the question intended.

The question is from me to me, and I had not that intention :). Let's forget, that preciosity. But would it really boil at zero pressure and at the temperature of the moon?

pmp! said:
The question is from me to me, and I had not that intention :). Let's forget, that preciosity. But would it really boil at zero pressure and at the temperature of the moon?

A liquid boils when its vapor pressure is equal to the external pressure. The pressure of the atmoshpere at sea level is typycally about 760mmHg. At 70 °F, the vapor pressure of water is about 20mmHg, so if the outside pressure is less than this, it will boil. The temperature on the moon varies a lot since it doesn't have an atmoshere. Just googling it I get 107°C durring the day and -153°C at night.

pmp! said:
Would you mind explaining it more detailed? Please.
Pressure at a point is the same in all directions. It doesn't just push down, it pushes up, left, right, etc. If it didn't, water wouldn't flow because there would be no force pushing it sideways.

1. How does the atmospheric pressure on Earth affect drinking a Coke?

The atmospheric pressure on Earth is higher than that on the Moon, which means that the air molecules are more densely packed. This makes it easier for the gas bubbles in a Coke to escape, resulting in a faster loss of carbonation. Therefore, a Coke may taste flatter on Earth compared to the Moon.

2. Why does a Coke taste different on the Moon?

The lower atmospheric pressure on the Moon means that the gas bubbles in a Coke have a harder time escaping. This leads to a slower loss of carbonation, resulting in a Coke that tastes fizzier and more refreshing.

3. Is it safe to drink a Coke on the Moon?

Yes, it is safe to drink a Coke on the Moon. The lack of oxygen and low pressure on the Moon will not affect the quality or safety of the drink. However, the lack of gravity may make it difficult to open and drink from a can or bottle.

4. How does drinking a Coke on the Moon compare to drinking it in space?

In space, there is no atmospheric pressure, so the gas bubbles in a Coke have no resistance and will escape rapidly. This results in a Coke that may taste even flatter than on Earth. Additionally, without gravity, the liquid in the Coke may not stay in the bottom of the can or bottle, making it difficult to drink.

5. Would a Coke freeze on the Moon?

It is unlikely that a Coke would freeze on the Moon, as the temperatures on the Moon can vary greatly depending on the location and time of day. However, the lack of atmosphere and low pressure may cause the liquid in the Coke to boil and freeze at the same time, resulting in a slushy consistency.