1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drinking a Soda

1. Nov 21, 2008 #1
    Before going in for an annual physical, a 70.0-{\rm kg} person whose body temperature is 37.0{\rm ^{\circ} C} consumes an entire 0.355-{\rm liter} can of a soft drink (which is mostly water) at 12.0{\rm ^{\circ} C}.

Part A
    What will be the person's body temperature T_final after equilibrium is attained? Ignore any heating by the person's metabolism. The specific heat capacity of a human body is 3480 {\rm J/kg \cdot K}.

I tried m_1c_1deltaT_1+m_2c_2deltaT_2=0
    I got stuck here:
    (70kg)(3480J/kgK)(T_f-37) + (70kg)(what is the specific heat for soda?)(Is this just 12C?)

Part B
    Is the change in the person's body temperature great enough to be measured by a medical thermometer? (A high-quality medical thermometer can measure temperature changes as small as 0.1{\rm ^{\circ}C} or less.)

yes or no?

I don't really get what they are asking here, I want to say NO, because logically speaking, drinking soda wouldn't lower your body temperature drastically. . . ?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Part A.

I have 2 observations:

1. The problem statement says what material the soda is (mostly) made of, so use the specific heat for that material.

2. The soda is not 70 kg. You'll have to figure out its mass from the information given in the problem statement.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?