Why is a drinking bird colder than the ambient temperature?

In summary, the drinking bird operates by using the evaporation of water on its head to cool the vapor inside, reducing the pressure and allowing the lower bulb to push up the liquid. The bird's body is also colder as a result of this process. There are other factors, such as evaporation and convection, that contribute to the cooling effect of the bird. However, it is still unclear why the bottom bulb is colder than the ambient temperature.
DDesulgon
In a drinking bird, water from the wet on the outside of the head evaporates, causing the vapor inside the head of the bird to cool. This reduces the pressure of the vapor at the top, allowing the higher pressure in the lower bulb to push up the column of liquid.

But the bird's body (including the rump and neck) is also a bit colder than the ambient temperature (but not as cold as the beak). Why is that?

My idea is that when the liquid rises in the bird, the vapor pressure in the rump decreases. As a result, a part of the liquid evaporates. The necessary entropy is removed from the remaining liquid, which thus cools.

Is that a conclusive argument? Are there any other reasons why the drinking bird is colder than the ambient temperature?

On the other hand: Shouldn't there be a temperature compensation by heat absorption from the environment? Why is the bottom bulb colder than the environment at all?

Another idea: The liquid might cool when it rises to the head. So when the liquid flows back into the bottom bulb, as the bird goes back into the verticale, it's colder than originally.I would be very grateful if somebody who understands this better than I do could explain it to me. Thanks in advance!

PS: English is not my mother tongue, so please excuse my linguistic mistakes.

Science news on Phys.org
When the water on the birds head evaporates, the latent heat of evaporation chills the head of the bird - bring in closer to the dew point temperature (and further from the ambient temperature). That cools the fluid in the head and ultimately the whole bird.

The fluid in the bird is moving, evaporating, and recondensing. So the method of getting the cooling effect to the bottom of the bird will involve both convection (moving the fluid) and evaporation (which is part of what forces the fluid to the head).

1. Why does a drinking bird feel colder than the surrounding air?

The drinking bird feels colder than the surrounding air because of the process of evaporative cooling. As the water in the bird's head evaporates, it takes heat energy from the surrounding air, making it feel cooler.

2. How does a drinking bird use evaporative cooling to stay colder than the ambient temperature?

The drinking bird uses evaporative cooling through its design and materials. The head of the bird is made of a porous material that allows water to evaporate, and the beak is filled with water. As the water evaporates, it cools the head, which causes the head to dip and the beak to become wet again, repeating the process.

3. Can the temperature difference between a drinking bird and its surroundings vary?

Yes, the temperature difference between a drinking bird and its surroundings can vary. Factors such as humidity, air temperature, and the amount of water in the bird's head can affect the rate of evaporation and therefore the temperature difference.

4. Is the drinking bird's cooling effect permanent?

No, the drinking bird's cooling effect is not permanent. Once the water in the bird's head has evaporated, it will stop dipping and the beak will dry out. The bird will then return to the same temperature as its surroundings.

5. Can the drinking bird's cooling effect be used to cool down a room?

The drinking bird's cooling effect is not significant enough to cool down a room. It is designed to only cool a small area around the bird itself. Other cooling methods, such as air conditioning, are more effective for cooling down a room.