1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drinking cup

1. Apr 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A cone-shape drinking cup is made from a circular piece of paper of radius R by cutting out a sector and joining the edges CA and CB. Find the maximum capacityof such a cup. This is page#312 In James stewarts Calc book, 3rd edition by the way.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]V=\frac{1}{3}\pi r^2 h[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    So realize this will form a cone with an inner triangle of hypotnue R. The base will have a radius r and a hieght h. So I will have to make a relationship between r and h to get R to plug into [tex]V=\frac{1}{3}\pi h r^2[/tex] and differeniate?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(1/3)*pi*r^2 doesn't even have the units of a volume. (1/3)*pi*r^2*h does. I think that's what you want. You will want to parametrize r and h by the angle cut out of R. And then differentiate and maximize wrt to the angle.

4. Apr 20, 2007 #3
    sorry clumsy mistake, I forgot the H, lol.

5. Apr 20, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I thought so. But just write r and h as functions of the cut out angle. That's just geometry.

6. Apr 21, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Notice that the entire circle of paper has circumference [itex]2\pi R[/itex] but the circle at the top of the cone has circumference [itex]2\pi r[/itex]. The arc length of the cut out wedge is [itex]R \theta/\2\pi[/itex] where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle in radians. That must be the difference between [itex]2\pi R[/itex] and [itex]2\pi r[/itex].

7. Apr 21, 2007 #6
    mmmm.......

8. Apr 22, 2007 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, then let's try it another way. Draw the right triangle joining a point on the circle of the base of the cone to the apex of the cone. Height is h and base is r, right? What's the length of the hypotenuse? Use Pythagoras to eliminate one of the variables (r or h) from the formula for the volume and maximize.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?