Drinking from a medical perspective

In summary, the speaker was reading their friend's livejournal and came across a post about a night of excessive drinking that resulted in severe pain in their back and front. The pain was thought to be the liver, but it was more likely the stomach. The speaker is seeking advice on how to talk to their friend about the dangers of excessive drinking. The friend's family member had a similar experience and the speaker's medic friend confirmed that the pain was in the area of the liver. However, the speaker advises against engaging in activities that cause pain.
NeedBioInfo
I was reading my friend's livejournal and I read this

though (some person) kept telling me to finish my drink until i ended up chugging the rest of my mickey of vodka (i know it wasn't smart, but i was already drunk so my judgement was a bit impaired...)
i payed for it big time the next day though... i woke up with my back in absolute pain... and it didnt occur to me until midday that it was actually hurting right through from my back to my front and i asked (some person) where your liver is and she pointed exactly where it hurt...
so basically my liver is telling me to leave it alone or else it'll really let me have it...
i was actually scared that it had burst or something (thats how much it friggin hurt) and the funny part is though, i was more scared that it had burst and that i had to explain to my parents *why* it hurt more than i was scared about any medical problems...
thankfully though, I am fine now... so i guess it didn't burst... just really doesn't like me :P

I want to talk to her, but I don't know what to say, exactly. I thought maybe you guys could give me a medical perspective on this so that I know what to tell her

Thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
Well, for starters, livers don't burst, but heavy or long-term alcohol consumption can lead to permanent liver damage. Though, more likely she was feeling her stomach, which is located just behind the liver, and is more likely to have been in pain after a night of overconsumption.

If you're asking about what to say to her about drinking, I think from the entry that she's already aware that what she did was stupid and she regrets it. Does she know you read her journal? (Is a livejournal like a blog that anyone can read, or would this be considered snooping?) If you were snooping, there's really very little you can say that won't get you in more trouble with her for snooping, but if it's something anyone could read, then you could just mention that you read about that incident and suggest she take your number with her so if she winds up stuck in a situation like that again, she can call you and you'll make sure she has a safe ride home rather than leaving her to a crowd of people pushing her to drink too much.

I wasn't snooping.
a livejournal is like a blog you can see them at www.livejournal.com

She says the liver can burst because it happened to some family member of hers

I've occasionally had a pain in what I've attributed to my liver after periods of excessive and prolonged drinking, as a result of being a student.

I say it was my liver, - I got my medic mate to show me just where my liver is and it was in that area. Definitely not in the stomach, or even during a hangover, just a few days after a period of excess.

Anyway, if something makes something hurt, don't do it!

What are the health risks associated with excessive alcohol consumption?

Excessive alcohol consumption can lead to a range of health issues, including liver disease, high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, and certain types of cancer. It can also increase the risk of accidents and injuries, as well as mental health problems like depression and anxiety.

How much alcohol is considered safe to drink?

The recommended limit for alcohol consumption varies depending on factors like age, gender, and overall health. In general, it is recommended to limit alcohol intake to no more than one drink per day for women and two drinks per day for men. It is also important to have alcohol-free days throughout the week.

Can moderate alcohol consumption have any health benefits?

Some studies have suggested that moderate alcohol consumption, particularly red wine, may have some health benefits, such as reducing the risk of heart disease. However, these benefits are not significant enough to justify starting to drink alcohol or increasing alcohol consumption for non-drinkers.

What are some potential interactions between alcohol and medications?

Alcohol can interact with certain medications, making them less effective or causing harmful side effects. It is important to consult with a doctor or pharmacist before drinking alcohol while taking any medications, including over-the-counter drugs.

Is it safe to drink alcohol while pregnant?

No, it is not safe to drink alcohol while pregnant. Drinking during pregnancy can lead to a range of birth defects and developmental issues in the baby, known as fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. It is recommended for pregnant women to avoid alcohol completely.