1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drinking through straw

1. Dec 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A drinking straw 20cm long and 3.0mm in diameter stands vertically in a cup of juice 8.0cm in diameter. A section of straw 6.5cm long extends above the juice. A child sucks on the straw, and the level of juice in the glass begins dropping at 20cm/s.

(a) by how much does the pressure in the child's mouth differ from atmospheric pressure?

(b) What is the greatest height from which the child could drink, assuming the same mouth pressure?

2. Relevant equations

P = P_o + [tex]\rho[/tex]gh

p + [tex]\rho[/tex]gh + [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex][tex]\rho[/tex]v[tex]^{2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm just reviewing for my final exam. Am i in the right direction, and if yes, guide me a little. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2007 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Equate the quantities in your 2nd expression for the values at the surface of the liquid and at the point where the liquid exits the straw, viz., the mouth. Take h as the height from some reference level, e.g., the bottom of the straw.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?