1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Driven RLC Circuits

1. Mar 24, 2008 #1
    Given a series RLC Circuit driven by a generator, Kirchhoff's Loop Rule gives:

[tex]V_{peak} cos \omega t - L\frac{di}{dt} - IR - \frac{Q}{C} = 0[/tex]

- OR -

[tex]V_{peak} cos \omega t = L\frac{d^{2}Q}{dt^{2}} + \frac{dQ}{dt}R + \frac{Q}{C}[/tex]

I have never done second order differential equations, so right now I am stuck if I want to solve for Q(t) or I(t).

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2008 #2
    I've just started studying differential equations, but this seems like a case where you could use the method of homogeneous and particular solutions, where you first find any solution that satisfies the differential equation (the particular solution), then find the homogeneous solution by setting the left side equal to zero and finding some general form (like Ae^st) that also satisfies the equation, and then summing the two. Unfortunately I'm not good enough to actually implement the solution for your problem, so hopefully there is someone else here that could expand on that or show a better way.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?