1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Driver going 40km/hr slams on the brakes & goes 3m before stopping - how far for 80?

1. Jun 21, 2006 #1
    When the driver applies the brakes of a light truck traveling at [itex]40\,\frac{km}{hr}[/itex], it skids 3 m before stopping. How far will the truck skid if it is traveling [itex]80\,\frac{km}{hr}[/itex] when the brakes are applied?

Here is what I have done, we are supposed to use the work energy formula, but I can't figure out how to relate the small amount of information. There is no mass specified, no kinetic friction coeeficient specified? Please help!

I figured [itex]t_1[/itex] using kinematics:

Then I use these numbers in another kinematic equation for the 80 km/hr instance:

The answer is actually 12m though.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2006 #2
    If the distance it travels before stopping is 3 meters, taking s0 as 0 like you've done then then s should be 3 not 6 since the total displacement is only 3 meters. Also it may have been easier to use a different equation from the start, one that doesn't take into account time since you aren't given a stopping time, such as

vf2 - v02 = 2as
  4. Jun 21, 2006 #3

That is right if you round up! Thanks for the help.

NOTE: I think we were supposed to solve it using a work-energy formula (i.e. - [itex]\frac{1}{2}\,m\,v_0^2\,+\,\sum\,U\,=\,\frac{1}{2}\,m\,v_f^2[/itex]) somehow.
  5. Jun 21, 2006 #4
    Your welcome, I'm glad I could help.
  6. Jun 21, 2006 #5
    Note that you don't need to actually find the deceleration to get to the answer. This can be done as follows,
    [tex]v^2 = 2aS=>v^2\varpropto S[/tex]
    since acceleration is constant in both cases , we get
    Now you can solve by inserting given values.
    Do you follow ?
  7. Jun 21, 2006 #6

But it's really 12!
  8. Jun 21, 2006 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You forgot to square the velocities. Re calculate your value and you should obtain 12m.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?