Light Truck Skidding Distance at Different Speeds

In summary, the truck skids 3 meters before stopping when the driver applies the brakes at a speed of 40 km/hr. To find the skidding distance at a speed of 80 km/hr, we can use the equation v^2 = 2aS, which tells us that the skidding distance is proportional to the square of the initial velocity. Using this, we can set up a proportion and solve for the unknown distance, which comes out to be 12 meters.
VinnyCee
When the driver applies the brakes of a light truck traveling at [itex]40\,\frac{km}{hr}[/itex], it skids 3 m before stopping. How far will the truck skid if it is traveling [itex]80\,\frac{km}{hr}[/itex] when the brakes are applied?

Here is what I have done, we are supposed to use the work energy formula, but I can't figure out how to relate the small amount of information. There is no mass specified, no kinetic friction coeeficient specified? Please help!

[tex]V_{i_1}\,=\,40\,\frac{km}{hr}\,=\,11.11\,\frac{m}{s}[/tex]

[tex]V_{f_1}\,=\,0[/tex]

I figured [itex]t_1[/itex] using kinematics:

[tex]v_f\,=\,v_i\,+a\,t[/tex]

[tex]0\,=\,11.1\,+\,a\,t[/tex]

[tex]s\,=\,s_0\,+\,v_0\,t\,+\,\frac{1}{2}\,a\,t^2[/tex]

[tex]6\,=\,0\,+\,22.2\,+\,a\,t^2[/tex]

[tex]t_1\,=\,0.54\,s[/tex]

[tex]a\,=\,-20.6\,\frac{m}{s^2}[/tex]

Then I use these numbers in another kinematic equation for the 80 km/hr instance:

[tex]V_f\,=\,V_0\,+\,2\,a\,(s\,-\,s_0)[/tex]

[tex]0\,=\,22.2\,\frac{m}{s}\,+2\,\left(-20.6\,\frac{m}{s^2}\right)\,(s\,-\,0)[/tex]

[tex]s\,=\,0.538\,m[/tex]

The answer is actually 12m though.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
VinnyCee said:
When the driver applies the brakes of a light truck traveling at [itex]40\,\frac{km}{hr}[/itex], it skids 3 m before stopping. How far will the truck skid if it is traveling [itex]80\,\frac{km}{hr}[/itex] when the brakes are applied?

Here is what I have done, we are supposed to use the work energy formula, but I can't figure out how to relate the small amount of information. There is no mass specified, no kinetic friction coeeficient specified? Please help!

[tex]V_{i_1}\,=\,40\,\frac{km}{hr}\,=\,11.11\,\frac{m}{s}[/tex]

[tex]V_{f_1}\,=\,0[/tex]

I figured [itex]t_1[/itex] using kinematics:

[tex]v_f\,=\,v_i\,+a\,t[/tex]

[tex]0\,=\,11.1\,+\,a\,t[/tex]

[tex]s\,=\,s_0\,+\,v_0\,t\,+\,\frac{1}{2}\,a\,t^2[/tex]

[tex]6\,=\,0\,+\,22.2,+\,a\,t^2[/tex]

If the distance it travels before stopping is 3 meters, taking s0 as 0 like you've done then then s should be 3 not 6 since the total displacement is only 3 meters. Also it may have been easier to use a different equation from the start, one that doesn't take into account time since you aren't given a stopping time, such as

vf2 - v02 = 2as

Likes Angel_29
[tex]v_f^2\,-\,v_0^2\,=\,2\,a\,s[/tex]

[tex](0)^2\,-\,\left(22.2\,\frac{m}{s}\right)^2\,=\,2\,\left(-20.6\,\frac{m}{s^2}\right)\,s[/tex]

[tex]-492.8\,\frac{m^2}{s^2}\,=\,-41.2\,\frac{m}{s^2}[/tex]

[tex]s\,=\,\frac{-492.8\,\frac{m^2}{s^2}}{-41.2\,\frac{m}{s^2}}\,=\,11.96m[/tex]

That is right if you round up! Thanks for the help.

NOTE: I think we were supposed to solve it using a work-energy formula (i.e. - [itex]\frac{1}{2}\,m\,v_0^2\,+\,\sum\,U\,=\,\frac{1}{2}\,m\,v_f^2[/itex]) somehow.

Last edited:
VinnyCee said:
[tex]v_f^2\,-\,v_0^2\,=\,2\,a\,s[/tex]

[tex](0)^2\,-\,\left(22.2\,\frac{m}{s}\right)^2\,=\,2\,\left(-20.6\,\frac{m}{s^2}\right)\,s[/tex]

[tex]-492.8\,\frac{m^2}{s^2}\,=\,-41.2\,\frac{m}{s^2}[/tex]

[tex]s\,=\,\frac{-492.8\,\frac{m^2}{s^2}}{-41.2\,\frac{m}{s^2}}\,=\,11.96m[/tex]

That is right if you round up! Thanks for the help.

Your welcome, I'm glad I could help.

Note that you don't need to actually find the deceleration to get to the answer. This can be done as follows,
[tex]v^2 = 2aS=>v^2\varpropto S[/tex]
since acceleration is constant in both cases , we get
[tex]\frac{{v_1}^2}{{v_2}^2}=\frac{S_1}{S_2}[/tex]
Now you can solve by inserting given values.
Do you follow ?

Last edited:
[tex]\frac{40\frac{km}{hr}}{80\frac{km}{hr}}\,=\,\frac{3\,m}{X}[/tex]

[tex]X\,=\,6\,m[/tex]

But it's really 12!

Last edited:
VinnyCee said:
[tex]{\color{red}\frac{40\frac{km}{hr}}{80\frac{km}{hr}}}\,=\,\frac{3\,m}{X}[/tex]

[tex]X\,=\,6\,m[/tex]

But it's really 12!
You forgot to square the velocities. Re calculate your value and you should obtain 12m.

1. What is light truck skidding distance?

Light truck skidding distance refers to the distance a truck travels while skidding before coming to a complete stop. This distance is affected by factors such as the speed of the truck, the type of tires, and the condition of the road surface.

2. How is light truck skidding distance measured?

Light truck skidding distance is measured by conducting controlled experiments where the truck is driven at various speeds and then brakes are applied to induce skidding. The distance traveled before the truck comes to a complete stop is then recorded and analyzed.

3. What speeds are typically used to test light truck skidding distance?

The speeds used to test light truck skidding distance vary depending on the specific study or experiment. However, common speeds used are 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60 miles per hour.

4. How do different speeds affect light truck skidding distance?

As the speed of the truck increases, the skidding distance also increases. This is due to the fact that the truck has more momentum at higher speeds, making it more difficult to stop. Therefore, it is important for drivers to maintain safe speeds to reduce the risk of skidding and accidents.

5. What other factors can affect light truck skidding distance?

In addition to speed, other factors that can affect light truck skidding distance include road conditions (such as wet or icy surfaces), the weight of the truck, and the type and condition of the tires. It is important to consider all of these factors when determining safe driving speeds and practices.