Can I Use Large LCD Screens for Computer Monitors or Project Screens?

• Thread starter Voltux
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lcd
In summary, the conversation was about whether large LCD screens, such as those found in laptops, can be repurposed as a monitor for a computer or project screen. The original poster was looking for a simple yes or no answer with some information, and someone responded with a link to a forum thread discussing the possibility but also mentioning that it may be more expensive than buying a new LCD monitor. The conversation also touched on the possibility of using a PDA screen, and the idea of selling old laptops or their components.
Voltux
Driving 15" LCD Possible?

Hey Physics Forum,

I have some large LCD's such as those out of laptops and I was wondering if they can be turned into a monitor for a computer or something such as a project screen. I'm not so much looking for a step-by-step or any instructions because I'm not that advanced yet just a basic yes or no with a little info. I have a 4ish inch from a PDA w/touchscreen, one 11", one 14"ish, and two 1650x1050 15" LCD's.

Thoughts? Idea's?

Thanks!
Very Respectfully,
Voltux (I did not mean to make this related to pokemon. I realized this after I clicked submit.)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, but it'll probably cost you more than a new LCD monitor would cost you:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-181128.html

(That was from a Google search for 'laptop LCD as monitor'). Your best bet may actually be the one from the PDA, but even assuming there's an easy hardware interface, you'd have to write a lot of custom code to control it yourself.

Thanks for the reply, That answered my question.

I have some dead laptops and I hate to throw them out because most of the components are still good. Lucky for me though the PDA screen is from Sony and has a data sheet.

Voltux.

You could eBay them as non-functioning 'spare parts' laptops, or go the next step and actually strip them down and sell the individual (functional) parts. Laptop LCDs are quite pricey (OEM or manufacturer), so you can often find quite the market for used ones.

1. What is a "Driving 15 LCD Possible"?

A "Driving 15 LCD Possible" refers to the ability to control or operate a 15-inch LCD screen, typically used in electronic devices such as laptops or computer monitors.

2. How is a 15-inch LCD screen driven?

A 15-inch LCD screen is driven by a driver circuit, which sends signals to the liquid crystal display to create images and display them on the screen.

3. Can I drive a 15-inch LCD screen with any device?

No, not all devices have the capability to drive a 15-inch LCD screen. The device needs to have the necessary driver circuit and compatible software to control the LCD display.

4. What is the difference between driving a 15-inch LCD screen and a smaller LCD screen?

The main difference between driving a 15-inch LCD screen and a smaller one is the size and resolution of the display. A 15-inch screen will require a more powerful driver circuit and software to properly display images and videos.

5. Are there any limitations to driving a 15-inch LCD screen?

Yes, there may be limitations depending on the device and driver circuit being used. Some limitations may include a lower refresh rate, limited color display, and compatibility issues with certain devices.