Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Driving etiquette

1. At A

22 vote(s)
    64.7%
  2. At B

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  3. Both

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. Neither

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. Jan 17, 2010 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

When another driver makes room to let you cut through, where is the appropriate place to wave back? When you first acknowledge the offer, or at the last moment when you are done taking advantage of it?

When I pull out (A), I always feel I've got to wave as soon as I take advantage of their offer. But then, as I come abreast of them (B) (closest approach), I always feel I need to wave again, in case they didn't see the first one and think I'm ungrateful.

PF20100117leftturn.gif

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2010 #2
    I'm pitifully grateful when anyone shows the least bit of driving courtesy. I way, way overdo the thank-you waves.

4. Jan 17, 2010 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I wave both times to let them know I appreciate them. Can't wave too much.

5. Jan 17, 2010 #4
    I wave at A and look the opposite way to avoid any awkward stares I might receive at point B.

6. Jan 17, 2010 #5
    I write their plate number down and send it to the Illuminati. The Illuminati punish anyone who betrays game theory.

7. Jan 17, 2010 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wave as I'm making the turn, but am careful not to slow down my turning by waving. I hate it when someone I'm letting go takes forever to actually GO because they're busy waving.

In converse, though, I never wave on another driver. I will leave them room and wait for them to get out, but I won't wave to tell them to go. The only reason for that is because someone actually got sued and lost for doing it several years ago when the ninny making the turn didn't bother looking the OTHER way and got into an accident. They interpreted the wave as "all clear." I personally think you and you alone are responsible for ensuring you can complete a turn and no other vehicles are coming when you pull out to make a turn, but apparently not all courts do.

8. Jan 17, 2010 #7
    A. acknowledge as you're moving out, not before so as not to give confusing "body language" of "oh no, you go first". then, safe driving takes priority, and it's more important to be looking both ways and ahead instead of flirting with other drivers.

9. Jan 17, 2010 #8
    Always after. When I am waved through, I immediately start driving and so my attention is riveted. After I have straightened out and stabilized my situation I acknowledge. I never look to see if my acknowledgement was received. When I wave someone else through I keep my word and do not move until they are through. If they refuse the invitation, I go.

10. Jan 17, 2010 #9

Evo

About the only time I need someone to make room for me is when I need to merge onto a freeway. In this case a smile and a wave as I move ahead and then once I am completely in the lane in front, I give a wave again to thank them.

11. Jan 17, 2010 #10

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I blow kisses.

12. Jan 17, 2010 #11
    You're brilliant! :approve:

13. Jan 17, 2010 #12
    I waive to them, less four fingers. :)

14. Jan 17, 2010 #13

Evo

Except in some places, a man blowing kisses at another man might end up in a shooting.

15. Jan 17, 2010 #14

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The reason for waving (acknowledging) @ A is to make dang sure he's really going to let you through. Good eye contact helps you know his true intentions.

16. Jan 17, 2010 #15

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Absolutely. But do you then ignore him at B?

That's why I end up at option 3 (both).

17. Jan 17, 2010 #16

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, ignore. By the time you are at B, you should be paying attention of whats in front of you.

18. Jan 17, 2010 #17
    Also, if you hold a gun out of your window while at position A, the other drivers will stop and let you through. Be sure to shake gun at driver while at position B with an angry expression.

Works for me anyways.

19. Jan 17, 2010 #18

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Why do you think they call them expressways?

20. Jan 17, 2010 #19
    and freeways. I am free to do what I want am I not?

21. Jan 17, 2010 #20
    I hope thats a "thumbs up"

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook