1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Driving force of car

1. Mar 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A racing car of mass 1500 kg, is accelerating at 5.0 m/s2, is experiencing a lift force of 600 N [up], due to its streamlined shape, and grounding effects of 1000 N [down], due to air dams and spoilers. Find the driving force needed to keep the car going given that μk = 1.0.

2. Relevant equations
    Friction=μ x normal force, Fnet=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is probably an easy problem. I've done everything else on my page, but this one just doesn't make sense for some reason. The question asks for 'the driving force to keep the car going.' I assumed this is the force required to counteract friction minus the force of acceleration... Though I'm probably wrong. The question is either poorly worded or I'm missing something. Why would a net downwards force affect anything?

The given answer is 22600 N. Thanks, all help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, the text of the problem wants you to determine the driving force which is needed to accelerate the car at the rate of 5m/s^2, if the normal force is the resultant of gravity, lift and the grounding effects.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook