Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Driving Habits

1. On average I drive the speed limit

19.5%
  2. On average I drive 5-10 mph over the limit. (10mph excluded)

53.7%
  3. On average I drive 10-15 mph over the limit.(10mph included)

19.5%
  4. On average I drive over 15mph then the speed limit. (15 excluded)

7.3%
  1. Mar 18, 2006 #1
    I left my house and got onto the main road. I saw a cop and an SUV coming up the road, (its a big 3 lane road each side), but they were far enough back so I pulled out onto the road and I pushed my puny straight 4 up to speed. So all the while im looking in my mirror as I speed up. I see this suv being tail gated by the cop. She changes her lane, cop changes his lane and tail gates her some more. At this point there side by side with me. Then the lady in the SUV hits the gas. I’m saying to myself, what the hell did you just do are you stupid!? Then the cop pulls her over and gives her a ticked. I think that was BS, the cop pushed her into speeding. The speed limit is 50, and the road is huge and we were the ONLY 3 cars on the road.
    So after this incident I pulled up to the traffic light and there was this nice new blue Porsche carrera in front of me. Naturally we were going the same direction. Eventually we got to a red light and were side by side. Long story short the light turned green and we both floored it. He killed me. I had to look back in my mirror to realize all the cars that were behind us were now a small dot. We were not going ALL that fast, maybe 75-80 on a.........40. All I can say was it worth hearing the engine of his car rev up to high RPMs and fly down the road. The sad part is I was trying my best, I think he wasn’t trying at all.
    :redface:

I don't usually drive fast like that. Today was a special occasion. But I usually go ~15 mph above the speed limit when I normally drive. How about the rest of you? (I just wanted an excuse to make a poll thread one of these days, and now I have one :tongue:)

Oh yeah, and it goes without saying, don't break the law. Always go the speed limit!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2006 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey, you left out the choice for people who habitually drive 5-10 mph UNDER the speed limit. I know they're out there, because I'm always stuck behind them in the no-passing zones. :grumpy:

4. Mar 18, 2006 #3
    5 miles above the speed limit is not illegal. Oh, you said under. LOL!

5. Mar 18, 2006 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perhaps you're just making crap up. You have no idea why he actually pulled her over, or what the cop actually charged her with. You're just speculating. Maybe she ran a red light a few minutes back or made an illegal turn, and the cop was just catching up with her, trying to find a good place to pull her over. (Cops stick like glue to cars they are following.)

- Warren

6. Mar 18, 2006 #5

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

... or, get the call back from dispatch, "Yeah, there's an 'armed and dangerous' out on that tag no."

7. Mar 18, 2006 #6
    You don't "catch up" to her by tailgating the woman for a good 1/4 of a mile. He turned his lights on only after she suddenly sped up. (Probably because she wanted that cop to stop following her so close). In any event, I found it to be odd.

8. Mar 18, 2006 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Even if you ignore all the idiots on the road and are only concerned with legality, I don't think the time saved by speeding is worth breaking the law. (And quite often, time is not saved by speeding and other forms of aggressive driving)

The thing that boggles me is tailgating. I just don't understand it, especially some of the stupider forms, such as:

(1) Tailgating at an on-ramp where you're going to have to merge.

(2) Gain on someone, pull up to their bumper, slow down to their speed, and then pass. (Even though there's no traffic in the other lane)

(3) Gain on someone, and sit on their rear for 10 miles, even though there's barely any traffic on a three lane highway.

9. Mar 18, 2006 #8
    This is true. He may have punched the lisence plate into the system and have been sticking to her while waiting for information back.

10. Mar 18, 2006 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

She might have done something to anger him before you showed up. She could have had expired tags and he was following her while calling in to check her tags out.

11. Mar 18, 2006 #10
    She could have passed him miles back and given him the finger as she did.

12. Mar 18, 2006 #11
    Still, the cop should not be tailgating her like that. He could have caused an accident. She was already changing lanes and speeding up because of his agressive driving.

13. Mar 18, 2006 #12

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is coming up on the "end of the quarter" --- he might be trying to make payroll.

14. Mar 18, 2006 #13

JamesU

Gold Member

Didn't we already have a Driving Habits thread?

15. Mar 18, 2006 #14

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A quarter of a mile, at 50 miles per hour, takes 18 seconds.

- Warren

16. Mar 18, 2006 #15
    Yeah, it was about that long ~half a minute. It was long enough to make her change her driving habbits significantly. If he was going to pull her over, he didn't have to do it while tailgating her.

17. Mar 18, 2006 #16

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And perhaps he saw her lange-changing and speeding to be indications that she might be about to try some evasive action. He might have waited to get around you because he didn't want you to get involved in what he perceived might turn into a dangerous vehicular confrontation. The bottom line is that you have no idea what really transpired between the cop and the SUV driver, so you probably shouldn't reach any conclusions about who did what.

I generally dislike cops, and have had my share of bad experiences with the traffic-court system in general. At the same time, I feel the need to defend the [perhaps minority of] cops who do their jobs very well.

I was driving (at the limit) down Highway 1 late at night a few months back. The only other car in my immediate vicinity was an old El Camino about a quarter mile ahead. I noticed nothing at all unusual about the situation until a cruiser approached from behind me. He moved behind me, a little closer than I'd like, and did the trick of moving half a lane to the left, watching my response. Before I had a chance to finish saying "what the heck?" he had moved back around me, moved to the El Camino, and did the same trick again. Instantly, the El Camino swerved and started oscillating back and forth across both lanes, leaving the roadway on one side, and almost leaving the shoulder. The cop had just demonstrated, in a split second, that the El Camino driver was completely drunk. The El Camino then tried to dodge onto an off-ramp, and the cop hit his lights and was on him like white on rice.

I'm sure that the majority of cops can drive better than 99% of "civilian" drivers, and they can do some pretty impressive things on four wheels. If the cop was truly tailgating the SUV in what you'd consider a dangerous manner, I strongly suspect there was more to the story that just what you saw.

- Warren

18. Mar 18, 2006 #17

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

See my above post.

- Warren

19. Mar 18, 2006 #18
    And what if the guy swerved and killed himself or you in the process? I think that cop would be responsible for the accident by driving illegally and agressively.

The other day there was this idiot cop who was driving up and down the road making illegal uturns. I was driving down the road, there was another car infront of me. All of a sudden the cop on the oncomming lane busts a u-turn. No lights, no sirren. Just makes a u-turn. The car ahead of me had to slam on her brakes. Then the cop just proceeds to drive up the road going past the speed limit. We catch up to him a little bit later, the guy busts ANOTHER u-turn, still no lights. AGAIN the lady ahead of me had to slam on her brakes. This time she gave him a nice long beep (Not to mention there were oncomming cars when he did it). I gave the cop a bad look, like what the hell is your problem you idiot? At least put ur sirren on if your going to do that.

20. Mar 18, 2006 #19

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He did a quite good job of getting between me and the El Camino, tracking its movement across the roadway, and isolating me from the guy in the El Camino with his own vehicle. He gave me plenty of time to figure out something was happening and slow down. In fact, I left with the distinct feeling of wow, that guy's good, I can't believe how surgical that was.

Besides, if the El Camino driver had ended up killing himself (or me, or the cop), he would have taken complete responsibility -- he was drunk. The cop did nothing but change langes behind him, then watch what he did. It was likely that I would have overtaken the El Camino in a minute or two myself, and my lane change might have provoked a similar response. Kind of scary, really.

I agree with you there -- it's dangerous and irresponsible for cops to make sudden (illegal) maneuvers while not even using their lights to warn other drivers. At the same time, I suspect the cop was looking for a specific make and model of vehicle, known to be in the immediate area, and didn't want his presence to be given away by flashing blue lights.

Traffic cops always have to balance their effectiveness in catching criminals with the safety of innocent motorists -- and it's definitely a trade-off. For example, I'm happy that many jurisdictions have recently stopped engaging in high-speed chases, as they tend to have a lot of collateral damage.

- Warren

21. Mar 18, 2006 #20

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It would never occur to me to SPEED up to get away from a cop. The way I usually deal with obnoxious tailgaters is to show them some brake light. Not sure that this is a good idea if the tailgater is a cop.

A tailgating cop is a very bad sign, about the only option you have to to pull over and have a chat.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?