Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Driving Pet Peeves

1. Jun 2, 2005 #1
    Which aspect of the highway transportation system do you despise the most? For me it's two things, SUV's blocking my vision and people not using their turn signals.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2005 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

People driving under the speed limit, not using their turn signals, having thier turn signal on and not intending to turn, tailgaters.

4. Jun 2, 2005 #3
    People not taking buses when they can.

5. Jun 2, 2005 #4
    People who drive slowly in the leftmost lanes, and/or don't let people pass them.

6. Jun 2, 2005 #5
    People not taking bicycles when they can.

7. Jun 2, 2005 #6

Evo

People riding bicycles in those expensive little outfits on single lane roads with no shoulders and so hilly/curvy that there is no passing allowed for 10 mile stretches and it's extremely dangerous to attempt going over into the oncoming lane due to the inability to see uncoming traffic.

My feeling is if I need to go around one of these suckers and I'm faced with an oncoming car, the bicycle guy is going to die. tsk I guess they should have picked a less dangerous route. :devil:

8. Jun 2, 2005 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, the worst was when I lived in Ann Arbor. The idiot bicyclists created half the traffic in the town as they wove in and out of traffic, the wrong way down one-way streets, and had complete disregard for traffic safety. They should have all been ticketed! If you want to share the road with cars, then follow the laws or get ticketed...or squashed!

9. Jun 2, 2005 #8
    Around here it is the roads. Pot holes all over the place and they have been fixing the same stretch of road for about 3 months now. What about all the other pot holes that need fixing before the next winter?

10. Jun 2, 2005 #9

Evo

Out here the roads are still a bit "rural" but these rich snotwads put on their expensive designer bike outfits and get on the main arteries thinking they're in the "Tour de France" and tie up traffic for miles. We get a lot of farm equipment on the roads here, but every mile or so, they pull to the side and let traffic go by. You'd think these brain dead cyclists would do the same.

The child of evo used to make fun of my ranting about the bicyclists until she started driving and barely missed a serious collision thanks to one, now she's on my side.

11. Jun 2, 2005 #10
    Speeding is the #1 cause of accidents. I dislike fast, impatient drivers, especially of the teenage variety. Last year, two days in a row I passed flipped over cars on the highway. Both had a gaggle of teenagers standing next to them, trembling, waiting for the authorities.

12. Jun 2, 2005 #11

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Other people driving on my roads.

13. Jun 2, 2005 #12
    Them youngsters think they are invulnerable. A car load of them ran into my brother in law. They were all drunk. All four of them died when they collided with a guard rail, flipped, and ran into my brother in law driving under an overpass. One of my brother in laws friends died also. Very much a tragedy for everyone. My brother in law walks with a cane now.

And living in Arizona I became very wary of elderly drivers. I don't know if they can't see or they forget where they are going, but they should have both adequate vision and memory to be allowed to drive. There was even one old guy who got on the highway in a golf cart. Where was he going?

14. Jun 2, 2005 #13
    If you want the roads all to yourself then you should go for a drive Thanksgiving morning.

15. Jun 2, 2005 #14

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Which one? Yours or ours?

I was frankly surprised at how much you guys invest in this holiday. 'Trains, Planes and Automobiles' made a lot more sense to me after someone clued me in on your Thanksgiving tradition.

16. Jun 2, 2005 #15

JamesU

Gold Member

from observation, just about anyone in arizona that is on the road...in tenisee, they have you pull the car out, drive around the building, and park, in their driving tests...and they still have better drivers than us!

17. Jun 2, 2005 #16
    Oops, I didn't realize you weren't from the U.S. I'm sure there must be a holiday where you are that everybody takes a day off work.

Yeah, Thanksgiving is a big holiday here for many families.

18. Jun 2, 2005 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

19. Jun 2, 2005 #18
    The people who forget how to drive in the rain between every rainy season.
    People who tail gate infuriate me. When ever I have someone close to my bumper for more than 20 seconds I take my foot off the gas and coast until they get irritated enough to change lanes. Then sometimes I'll spead up to keep them from getting in front of me. Occasionally I just tap my break but it seems people get pissed at me and flip me off alot when I do that.
    OH! And those bastards with the super bright headlights get under my skin too. A couple times I have gotten myself behind them and turned my brights on in hopes that they get the picture.

20. Jun 3, 2005 #19

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Well, if you're road-hogging in the fast lane you deserve it. You shouldn't be going in the fast lane in a multi-lane road even if you're driving at the speed limit. If you see a faster car coming up behind you, you really should signal and move to the slower lane, that's just common courtesy.

Have you considered that the people who need to get by you are perhaps in a real hurry ? Like maybe they have a medical reason ? In any case, what does it profit you to play dog-in-the-manger ?

A lot of the time, drivers are forced to overtake people like you by using the designated slower lane, but this is dangerous. And in some places in the UK, doing this is actually illegal, so people are forced to endure roadhogging in the fast lane in mute rage.

Tailgating is wrong, and I don't do it or condone it, but if the road-hogging moron in front doesn't "get it" and move over, just how does one drive home the point ? The only unequivocal way to get the message across is with a brief flash of the headlights, but that can be irritating and dazzling to the driver in front. So sometimes considerate people in faster cars *and* in a hurry will just have to suffer in silence behind an inconsiderate driver going slow in the fast lane.

The driving behaviour you claim to practise and endorse in your post is inconsiderate. And dangerous too, because you're greatly increasing the chances of an accident by speeding up to prevent that poor car behind you from merging in front of you.

*You* would be one of my driving pet peeves, if I met you on the road.

21. Jun 3, 2005 #20

hmmm... how about you hate the way those teens drive, instead of hating the teens themselves? i'm sometimes fast and impatient... but i'm fond of you zoob... i don't want you to hate me!

i used to hate fast drivers until i became one. now i really hate slow people. especially if they won't let me pass. its fine if someone else wants to take their time... pull over then and let me go by. (hmm, i also sorta have a death wish these days)

I also HATE road rage! i can't stand being in the car with people who get road rage easy. even when i'm really annoyed by a slow driver, i don't freak. someone can cut me off, and mostly i just get scared a sec, then move on. my mum is crazy though, and she scares me. She's one of those who'll yell out the window so you know she's pissed that you did whatever.

oh, and people who block intersections during traffic. i hate that. and people who don't stop for pedestrians. and people who don't smile and wave when i do something nice for them. oh, and in general, i hate all drivers from massachusettes, (mass-holes.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?