Driving relay with low current

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a single quick pulse of 2.5 mA to run a latching relay and the need to amplify the signal with a transistor. The suggested circuit includes a diode to protect the transistor and a 10k resistor. It is also recommended to use a Darlington transistor for relay currents over 50 milliamps.
jbord39
Hey. I am trying to use a single quick pulse of about 2.5 mA to run a latching relay. I know that this signal needs to be amplified (probably with a transistor) but am unfamiliar on how to do this.

Thanks for the help,

John

Engineering news on Phys.org
Here is a relay driver. The diode in this circuit is used to protect the transistor from high voltage that is being induced by the relay coil.

http://www.vlearnvshare.com/home/images/articles/NPN-DRIVER1.GIF

Last edited by a moderator:
If the relay current is over 50 milliamps, you should use a Darlington transistor, such as the TIP120 (available at Radioshack) or equivalent. See datasheet

http://www.learn-c.com/tip120.pdf

The current gain at saturation is ~250. You should also have a 10k resistor from the data input to ground.

Bob S

Thanks for the help. I'm going to get the parts today so I'll let you know.

1. What is the purpose of driving relay with low current?

The purpose of driving relay with low current is to protect the relay and any connected devices from damage. Relays have a maximum current rating, and exceeding this rating can cause the relay to overheat and fail. By using low current, the relay is able to operate within its safe range and prevent any potential damage.

2. How is low current achieved when driving a relay?

Low current can be achieved by using a transistor or a specialized relay driver circuit. These components act as a buffer between the control signal and the relay, allowing a small amount of current to control a larger current flow to the relay. This allows the relay to operate with a lower current input while still being able to switch larger currents.

3. What are the benefits of driving relay with low current?

Besides protecting the relay and connected devices, driving relay with low current can also improve the lifespan of the relay. Relays that are constantly operated with high currents may wear out faster and need to be replaced more frequently. Using low current can also reduce power consumption and potentially lower the overall cost of the system.

4. Are there any limitations to using low current when driving a relay?

While driving relay with low current can have many benefits, there are some limitations to consider. Low current may not be suitable for all types of relays, as some may require a minimum current to operate reliably. Additionally, using low current may result in slower switching times for the relay, which could affect the overall performance of the system.

5. How do I determine the appropriate amount of low current to use when driving a relay?

The appropriate amount of low current to use when driving a relay will depend on the specific relay being used and the maximum current it can handle. It is important to consult the datasheet for the relay to determine the recommended current ratings. Additionally, it may be necessary to test and adjust the low current level to find the optimal balance between protecting the relay and ensuring reliable operation.