Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Driving test

1. Jul 27, 2006 #1

wolram

Gold Member

So who passed first time? did you have to do a theory test first?
    what about motorbike test how hard was it for you.

I passed my car and bike test first try, but there was no theory test, the bike test was a joke, all i had to do is ride a course in town and stop when the examiner put his hand up.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2006 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I.
    Aye.
    Aieeee!

One of the things I had to do was tight turns within a small, fixed radius without putting a foot down. Looked hard but turned out not so.

4. Jul 27, 2006 #3
    Failed my car the first time for not stopping before the line....ppft.

Passed my motorcycle the first time! (passed the motorcycle written test by the skin of my teeth!)

5. Jul 27, 2006 #4

ShawnD

Science Advisor

I failed that driving test 3 times because you're only allowed to make maybe 2 mistakes. Failure to remain stopped for 3 full seconds at a stop sign = fail. That 3 second rule also applies to leaving parking lots; just ignore those 10 cars behind you honking their horns wondering why you're being a jackass by not going. Going 3km/h over the speed limit puts you half-way towards failing. Slowing to an unreasonable speed when approaching a yield sign is an immediate fail, as is not slowing down at all. Not covering the brake when approaching an intersection is an immediate fail, even though it means your car slows from 60 to 50 when coasting through the intersection while cars zip past you going 80.

There's no mystery why new drivers are statistically dangerous as hell. It's because it takes them a long time to forget all that crap they learned to pass the test and drive like a real human being. Drive 20 faster than the posted speed limit and you won't have cars tailgating you and swerving just to avoid rear ending you.

6. Jul 27, 2006 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I failed the driving part the first time for the same reason as above - who really stops for 3 seconds at a stop sign? :rolleyes:

7. Jul 27, 2006 #6
    I passed both auto and bike test, the first try. But I had been driveing both as early as 10 on my grandparents farm.

8. Jul 27, 2006 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Same thing happened with my wife. Well actually, she was doing more like rolling stops - with more rolling than stopping! :biggrin:

9. Jul 27, 2006 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I did.

You mean a written test, yes.

Haven't taken a motorcycle test.

10. Jul 27, 2006 #9

wolram

Gold Member

So thats how it got in the blood :smile:

11. Jul 27, 2006 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I did. But, I think I could have done anything and still passed after the guy taking his tractor-trailer driving test tried running me over (my test was on a closed course, so no annoying people with stopping for a long time on every stop, and I had been given forewarning of the "trick" stop sign, which is the one about 2 ft from where they have you start, so you think you're starting from the stop sign, but you're actually supposed to roll 2 ft, stop again, then continue :rolleyes:). Anyway, yeah, that tractor trailer just kept coming my way while I was stopped at the stop sign. The examiner asked if I was ready to reverse if he didn't stop (poor guy sounded more nervous than I was at that moment...can you imagine your fate in the hands of two people both in the midst of their driving tests?), I answered that I was, and he saw that I already had my hand on the gear shift, and seemed to relax a bit.

Yep, passed that on the first try in two different states (not every state requires one retake the tests when you transfer your license there, but some do). Plus just passed the written test the university requires in order for me to be covered by their insurance when driving for business related purposes (talk about a stupid test...if anyone can't pass it, they better have their license revoked).

None of those for me.

I do....when there's traffic on the road I'm turning onto. :biggrin: When I took the test, there wasn't any time limit, you just had to make sure you made a big show of turning your head right and left to make sure they knew you looked both ways before continuing.

12. Jul 27, 2006 #11

wolram

Gold Member

Yes, glad i did not have to take one.

And whats with this crazy 3 second rule guys?

13. Jul 27, 2006 #12
    I failed my first time......apparently I wasn't shoulder checking properly......went for the second time with a different instructor in a different town changed nothing that I did and passed with flying colors. Later the instructor I went to the first time ended up being put on mandatory leave because the powers above him found out he was failing people unneccessarily. I had to take a written test when I was 14 (the learners) which I passed the first time and then the drivers test when I was 16.

14. Jul 28, 2006 #13

nazzard

Gold Member

I took both theory tests (car and motorbike) at the same time. Those who went for the bike license got an extra sheet of paper to the standard-test.

Only the driving-test for the bike was a bit "thrilling". It started at a parking lot with some handling tests: slalom at walking speed and about 20 mph, change maneuver at high speed and emergency braking :rolleyes: My first try on that one didn't impress the instructor too much. :redface: He told me that it looked like "a normal parking maneuver" :grumpy: So, next time I tried, I left some black rubber on the street and he was all happy again. :smile:

The driving on the road afterwards wasn't that exciting as I had to wait for the instructor's car most of the time. :wink:

Regards,

nazzard

15. Jul 28, 2006 #14

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I passed on the first try.

But then I had found out about all the trick scams they used to fail you. :grumpy:

If you had to demonstrate the same proficiency in driving that you need to get a pilots license it would probably save a lot of lives.

16. Jul 28, 2006 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's the scary part, that it seems people get their licenses or not based on whether they know the tricks in the test (or on the written test, how well they know the penal code for driving offenses), not on whether they actually know how to drive. Where I took my test, it's entirely a closed course, and you could literally drive the entire test at 5 mph and still pass (and most people did just that...word gets around the high school quickly that you can get away with it, and it ensures you don't make any mistakes from going too fast around curves). After I passed my driving test, my step-father took me out for one more lesson...to learn to drive "the right way" as opposed to the way you learn to pass the test. :biggrin:

17. Jul 28, 2006 #16
    I passed mine without any test. :wink: Drove a bike on a learner's license (and stil did before I came here). Who drives a moped today, anyway?

18. Jul 28, 2006 #17

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I couldn't agree with you more. :smile:
    My driver test was a little more difficult though.
    I had to drive around the block in a residential neighborhood. :biggrin:
    It really is a bad deal. :grumpy:

For example when I was learning to fly.
    Not only did they teach me what to do if any of the controls failed (often several and including the various steering controls), but I had to demonstrate that I could still safely fly the plane without them.
    You also need to know the physics of flight, math, how to use a slide rule, weather forecasting, navigation, fire fighting, and more well enough to answer any odd question they might throw at you. Like how much will you weigh if you do a particular maneuver. Or use the knowledge to actually do something.
    About the only thing not covered is what to do if the wings fall off, but they have inspection program for that too. :approve:

You also get retested every couple years.
    Its a lot harder than the original final test.
    For the original final they, to some extent, figure that you never would have gotten signed off for it if you didn't know what you were doing.

19. Jul 29, 2006 #18

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Here in Alberta, Canada we don't even have a written driver's test. You just go out and drive around for 30 minutes.

They're hard asses with shoulder checking because they assume humans do not have eyeballs. Apparently it's cheating if I simply move my eyes rather than put my arm around the passenger seat and look along the entire side of my car. Why the hell do I even have mirrors if I'm not supposed to use them? Your blind spot is directly beside your car, so you should not need to turn more than your eyes. My friend's vision is so amazing he can see his blind spot without even moving his eyes - he got dinged on that one too. Do it 2 or 3 times and you fail the test, and they won't tell you each time you "didn't check".

It's also illegal to do hand-over-hand stearing. You must keep both hands on the wheel at all times when making the turn. I laughed when my driving instructor told me this because I had to show him it was literally impossible to do this in a 1979 Pontiac. Back before power stearing, car companies would set a gear ratio between the stearing and the car's front wheels. To turn the wheels 45 degrees you had to turn your stearing wheel all the way around, 360 degrees. If I keep both hands on the wheel and turn my stearing wheel 90 degrees (the most possible without it becoming really awkward), it will only turn the car's wheels by 11 degrees. This makes your car's turning radius about the size of an apartment complex. To me, making a right turn across 6 lanes seems really dangerous, but I should probably just trust the government on this one.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2006
  20. Jul 29, 2006 #19

wolram

Gold Member

In the uk we are taught to feed the steering with left hand through the right
    then feed with the right etc, we also have to eyeball behind when starting off.

21. Aug 8, 2006 #20
    how do you guys like parallel parking? like did your instructors fail you if you knocked down a cone or something? Also, did you guys have to do any 3-point U turns? In your opinion, what is the hardest part of the driving test?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?