Driving the kit car

• Thread starter brewnog
  • Start date
brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ok, so I was driving the kit car last weekend, and unbeknownst to me, I developed a hole in the sump, lost all my oil, and the engine seized (ok by that time it was no longer unbeknownst).

So, this weekend I went to collect a couple of spares. The first is a direct replacement, it's been stood for 10 years and has also seized but only from age. Apparently this engine was running well but using a bit of oil before it was removed.

The second is a short block; also seized from age and very dirty, but has reinforced bearing caps.

My initial plan was to swap my broken engine with the first one, free it up with some Diesel and persuasion, and run it for the summer, put up with the smokiness, and rebuild my broken engine with the short block into a decent, strong, mildly tuned engine over the winter.

Now, I've been offered a third engine by a bloke at work. It runs, it's a direct replacement, but with Hepolite pistons, a stage 3 head, a rally camshaft, big valves, and twin 45 Weber DCOEs. It's also got a competition clutch and a Quaife 5-speed straight cut gearbox.

ARRRGHHHH help me make the decision!

Answers and Replies

wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
brewnog said:
Ok, so I was driving the kit car last weekend, and unbeknownst to me, I developed a hole in the sump, lost all my oil, and the engine seized (ok by that time it was no longer unbeknownst).

So, this weekend I went to collect a couple of spares. The first is a direct replacement, it's been stood for 10 years and has also seized but only from age. Apparently this engine was running well but using a bit of oil before it was removed.

The second is a short block; also seized from age and very dirty, but has reinforced bearing caps.

My initial plan was to swap my broken engine with the first one, free it up with some Diesel and persuasion, and run it for the summer, put up with the smokiness, and rebuild my broken engine with the short block into a decent, strong, mildly tuned engine over the winter.

Now, I've been offered a third engine by a bloke at work. It runs, it's a direct replacement, but with Hepolite pistons, a stage 3 head, a rally camshaft, big valves, and twin 45 Weber DCOEs. It's also got a competition clutch and a Quaife 5-speed straight cut gearbox.

ARRRGHHHH help me make the decision!

No dilema old chap, the last option is obvious choise.
and may be some bigger wheels so your sump does not drag on the ground
:smile:

brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
wolram said:
No dilema old chap, the last option is obvious choise.
and may be some bigger wheels so your sump does not drag on the ground
:smile:

I think I'd have to look at a dry sump conversion. I like my 13" Minilites, and I'm sure you'll respect that! Am gradually talking myself into that beast of an engine though. Clutchless gearchanges! :!!)

Danger
Gold Member
It's a no-brainer, Brewski... definitely the tweaked one. And might I suggest an oil-pressure cutoff switch? It also makes a good theft deterent, if no one knows where the bypass switch is.