Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drogued drifters

  1. Sep 26, 2016 #1


    User Avatar

    Hey guys,
    I am not sure if this is the right forum for this question.
    So I started to read some papers for my master thesis in environmental physics (no idea if this is the correct translation) and there they talked about "drogued" drifters and "undrogued" drifters in the ocean, from which they got some data. Can somebody explain to me what "drogued" means ? I tried to look it up, but all I find is the translation of a french word.
    Hope you can help me,
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2016 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

    If I say, "Air or wind blown," and, "Sea anchor," to you ...?
  4. Sep 26, 2016 #3


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

  5. Sep 27, 2016 #4
  6. Sep 27, 2016 #5


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    It's just what the previous posters have been talking about. The drogue is a big hole-y sock that makes the drifter tend to follow the currents at whatever depth the drogue is deployed at. Some more sophisticated systems deliberately change depth to "ride" the currents at different depths.
  7. Sep 28, 2016 #6


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted