Drogued Drifters: What Does It Mean?

• Thread starter ATY
  • Start date
  • Tags
    ocean
In summary, the conversation is about the concept of "drogued" and "undrogued" drifters in the ocean, which are used to collect data for a master thesis in environmental physics. The person is looking for an explanation of what "drogued" means and receives help from other forum members, who also mention the use of drogues in yachts. The person also shares a link to a paper that describes the drifters and their use of drogues.
ATY
Hey guys,
I am not sure if this is the right forum for this question.
So I started to read some papers for my master thesis in environmental physics (no idea if this is the correct translation) and there they talked about "drogued" drifters and "undrogued" drifters in the ocean, from which they got some data. Can somebody explain to me what "drogued" means ? I tried to look it up, but all I find is the translation of a french word.
Hope you can help me,
ATY

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
If I say, "Air or wind blown," and, "Sea anchor," to you ...?

It's just what the previous posters have been talking about. The drogue is a big hole-y sock that makes the drifter tend to follow the currents at whatever depth the drogue is deployed at. Some more sophisticated systems deliberately change depth to "ride" the currents at different depths.

1. What are drogued drifters?

Drogued drifters are scientific instruments that are designed to measure ocean currents. They are equipped with a drogue, which is a long tail that helps to stabilize the instrument and ensure that it is carried along by the ocean currents.

2. How do drogued drifters work?

Drogued drifters work by drifting along with the ocean currents and transmitting data back to researchers on land. The drogue helps to keep the drifter at a constant depth, allowing it to accurately measure the speed and direction of the ocean currents.

3. Why are drogued drifters important?

Drogued drifters provide valuable information about ocean currents, which are important for understanding and predicting weather patterns, as well as tracking the movement of pollutants and debris in the ocean.

4. How are drogued drifters deployed?

Drogued drifters are typically deployed from ships or aircraft, and are equipped with GPS technology so that their location can be tracked. They can also be deployed in large numbers to cover a larger area and provide more accurate data.

5. What does the data collected by drogued drifters mean?

The data collected by drogued drifters provides information about the speed and direction of ocean currents, which can be used to create maps and models of ocean circulation. This data can also be used to study the effects of climate change and the impact of human activities on the ocean.