Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Drone crashes at White House

1. Jan 26, 2015 #1

Borg

Gold Member

Like the Secret Service needs another headache. :oldeyes:

http://news.yahoo.com/spokesman-secret-recovers-device-white-house-095128139.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Soon there will be a waiting period to buy drones and they will have serial numbers :(

4. Jan 26, 2015 #3

Borg

Gold Member

I doubt it. It's too easy to make your own. There are a bunch of do-it-yourself instructions and I know one group that even makes a lot of their parts using 3D printers. I suspect there will be a new government contract for a drone air defense system. :oldtongue:

5. Jan 26, 2015 #4
    With surveillance ones it would be problematic, but in case of armed ones you can claim that even minor limitations is a sign of tyranny and violation of second amendment. ;)

6. Jan 26, 2015 #5

Borg

Gold Member

Something like this?

And, since it's Russian, you can claim that it got lost as it crossed the White House grounds. :w

7. Jan 26, 2015 #6

Borg

Gold Member

8. Jan 27, 2015 #7

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Government worker who crashed drone on White House grounds was drinking - well he was off duty.
    http://news.yahoo.com/drinking-gove...on-white-house-grounds--report-200333999.html
    Ooops.

9. Jan 28, 2015 #8

russ_watters

I would assume the White House is equipped with surface to air missiles. Designing an anti-drone laser defense system would be pretty straightforward (a low power version of what the Navy is testing).

10. Jan 28, 2015 #9

Borg

Gold Member

You wouldn't even need that much explosive power. Something that deployed a good number of M80-sized explosives near the target would probably be enough to knock it out of the air even without a direct hit.

Or, they could deploy the Hawk anti-drone system. :oldtongue:

11. Jan 28, 2015 #10

Dotini

Gold Member

With gnat-sized drones swarming though tree branches and gaps in fences, defense would be impossible without endangering the public. Perhaps the solution is to relocate the White House underground?

12. Jan 28, 2015 #11
    I believe there will be changes to come with respect to "quadcopter controls". Though I think it may take an inevitable "attack" of sorts. With fpv flight, on screen gps data, uhf radio controls (even repeaters) and the relatively cheapness & availability & mass production quantities of the equipment im surprised they have yet to be used to cause "terror" in the US...with near perfect annominity and low cost. How easy it would be to drop flamming bags of poop on peoples porches from a long distance.

13. Jan 28, 2015 #12

russ_watters

Untrue. Anti-insect laser defense systems exist as well. If they ever become commercially viable, I'm buying one for my deck. Safety is a pretty simple targeting software issue, already utilized in such systems.

14. Jan 28, 2015 #13

russ_watters

Its been done before, so...

15. Jan 28, 2015 #14

Borg

Gold Member

Actually, the more that I thought about it, the more that I liked it. The only thing is prep time to get the bird in the air. They would need a drone early warning system. :oldsmile:

16. Jan 28, 2015 #15

jtbell

A mini DEW line, so to speak.

17. Jan 28, 2015 #16

russ_watters

They could probably just deploy a squadron, flying CAP continuously, in shifts.

18. Jan 29, 2015 #17

jtbell

We have a new meaning for "DUI": droning under the influence. :oldeyes:

Spy drone operator was drinking (CNN.com)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook