Drop Test theoretical calculations & material selection

In summary: Additionally, the material used for the unit should be able to withstand the impact forces without cracking or breaking.I hope this summary of the conversation has been helpful in addressing your concerns about the drop test. If you have any further questions or need assistance with calculations, please do not hesitate to reach out. Best of luck with your project.In summary, as an Electronic Engineer performing drop tests on a unit, you encountered a shattered corner and are seeking help in calculating forces and required material strength for future tests. Based on the specifications provided, it is recommended to redistribute weight and reinforce the corner with a stronger material or additional supports. Calculations for the forces acting on the unit during the drop test, as well as the
arturbdg
Hello,

I am currently assigned to perform a drop tests on a unit that we sell. Thing is that I am an Electronic Engineer so I am not best at mechanics.

I am wondering whether you can calculate forces and required material strength to withstand the drop test. The reason I am asking is because one of the units I testes shattered at the corner.

Here are the specs:

Height - 48 inches (122cm)
Unit weight - 5kg
Dropped on 3 chipboard plates carpet and concrete floor.
Every corner, bottom and sides is secured with 7mm thick rubber bumpers. The corners are rounded and bottom one form kind of rectangular with an empty space

-------------------
| |
| | (diagram)
| B |
|\ /|
-------------------

B stands for battery and the corner which shattered was underneath it.

During my test unit fell roughly flat on the chipboard and on one corner where slightly more weight is located above it (the battery) shattered to pieces despite being protected by rubber bumper.

Now my questions are:
1) Injection moulding - can knitlines (non are visible in the shattered area but they are present in some other areas of the case) or any other injection moulding defects contribute to that, if so what to look for?

2) How to calculate the best material for use (current case is made from Minlon 10B140NC010 but the front cover was made from Zytel70G30HSL which seem to be stronger. Front cover do not protrude much but having said that 2 drop tests were performed (2 back covers - one damage to mounting posts inside case, one shattered corner) while only 1 front made from Zytel used without any sign of damage.

Unfortunately I can't provide detailed pictures due to nature of the project and as such any information can be only roughly estimated but I would appreciate any help in that matter (especially calculations).

Kind Regards
Artur

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello Artur,

As a scientist with a background in mechanics, I would be happy to assist you with your drop test concerns. Based on the information provided, I can offer some suggestions and calculations to help you determine the best material and design for your unit.

Firstly, let's address the issue of the shattered corner. It seems that the weight of the battery may have played a significant role in causing the corner to shatter, despite the rubber bumpers in place. This could be due to the distribution of weight and the impact force on that particular corner. To prevent this from happening in the future, I would recommend redesigning the unit to distribute the weight more evenly and potentially reinforcing the corner with a stronger material or additional supports.

In terms of calculating the forces and required material strength for the drop test, there are a few factors to consider. The primary force acting on the unit during the drop test is gravity, which can be calculated using the equation F=mg, where F is the force, m is the mass of the unit, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). In this case, the force acting on the unit would be approximately 49 N (5 kg x 9.8 m/s^2).

Next, you will need to consider the impact force on the unit when it hits the ground. This can be calculated using the equation F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the unit, and a is the acceleration due to impact. The acceleration due to impact can vary depending on the surface the unit is dropped on, but for concrete it is typically around 10 times the acceleration due to gravity (98 m/s^2). Using this equation, the impact force on the unit would be approximately 490 N (5 kg x 98 m/s^2).

Now that we have calculated the forces acting on the unit during the drop test, we can use these values to determine the required material strength. This will depend on the design and structure of the unit, but as a general rule, the material should have a strength of at least 2-3 times the expected impact force. In this case, the material should have a strength of at least 980-1470 N.

In terms of injection molding defects, knitlines can certainly contribute to the failure of the unit during the drop test. It is important to carefully inspect the unit for any potential defects and make sure they

1. What is a "Drop Test" and why is it important in scientific research?

A "Drop Test" is a controlled experiment that is designed to simulate the effects of an object being dropped from a certain height. It is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to understand the impact and damage an object may experience when it falls, which is crucial for designing safe and reliable products.

2. How are theoretical calculations used in Drop Test experiments?

Theoretical calculations are used in Drop Test experiments to predict the behavior and performance of the object being dropped. These calculations take into account factors such as material properties, weight, and velocity to determine the potential impact force and damage that the object may experience.

3. What are the key factors to consider when selecting materials for a Drop Test experiment?

The key factors to consider when selecting materials for a Drop Test experiment include the weight and density of the material, its strength and elasticity, and its ability to absorb shock and withstand impact forces. Other factors, such as cost and availability, may also be taken into account.

4. How does the height from which an object is dropped affect the results of a Drop Test?

The height from which an object is dropped can greatly impact the results of a Drop Test. As the height increases, so does the potential energy and impact force of the object upon impact. This can lead to different levels of damage and may require different materials or design modifications for the object to withstand the impact.

5. How do scientists ensure the accuracy and reliability of Drop Test theoretical calculations?

Scientists ensure the accuracy and reliability of Drop Test theoretical calculations by using validated mathematical models and incorporating real-world data and variables. They may also conduct multiple tests at different heights and with different materials to verify the accuracy of their calculations and make any necessary adjustments.