Dropkick Murphys or Flogging Molly?

• Thread starter RiseAgainst
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a choice between two bands, the Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly. The person speaking prefers Flogging Molly, while acknowledging that their son likes Dropkick Murphys. They also mention that they have all of Flogging Molly's albums and some of Dropkick Murphys', and prefer Flogging Molly's folk Irish sound over Dropkick Murphys' oi sound.
RiseAgainst
If you had the choice of listening to either of these bands which would you chose. I would chose the Murphys, but that's just me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Um, are you going to do something to the other band? Are we just down to two? Can only one exist as the other lives? Is it like a Harry Potter thing?

I'm not familiar with Dropkick Murphys, so I'll have to go with Flogging Molly by default*.

* I reserve the right to change my vote at any moment, for no particular reason. ;-)

I have all the Flogging Molly albums (if I don't then I'm off to the store tomorrow!), and I don't think I have any Dropkick Murphy albums (though strangely, my son does. In a vast musical universe where our tastes are lightyears apart, they happen to overlap here.)

I prefer Flogging Molly. the more folk irish sound is what does it for me.
to me Dropkick is really just oi with some boston irish pride thrown in. I still like them and own a few of their albums though.

1. Who are Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly?

Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly are two popular Celtic punk bands that originated in Boston, Massachusetts and Los Angeles, California, respectively. They are known for their high-energy shows and their fusion of traditional Irish music with punk rock.

2. How did Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly get their start?

Dropkick Murphys formed in 1996 when a group of friends with a love for punk and Irish music came together to create a unique sound. Flogging Molly was formed in 1997 by frontman Dave King, after moving to California from Ireland and meeting other musicians who shared his love for Celtic music and punk.

3. What are some of Dropkick Murphys' and Flogging Molly's most popular songs?

Some of Dropkick Murphys' most popular songs include "I'm Shipping Up to Boston," "The State of Massachusetts," and "Rose Tattoo." Flogging Molly's most popular songs include "Drunken Lullabies," "If I Ever Leave This World Alive," and "Devil's Dance Floor."

4. Have Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly collaborated or toured together?

Yes, Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly have collaborated on songs and have also toured together multiple times. In 2009, they co-headlined the "St. Patrick's Day Massacre Tour" and in 2018, they co-headlined the "Rise Against Summer Tour."

5. Are Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly politically active?

Yes, both bands are known for their politically charged lyrics and involvement in activism. Dropkick Murphys have been vocal about issues such as workers' rights, immigration, and LGBTQ+ rights. Flogging Molly has also spoken out about these issues, as well as environmental issues and supporting independent music venues.