How High Must an Object Be Dropped to Achieve a Force of 203.66N?

• Thread starter Moose720
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Height
In summary, the conversation is discussing the parameters for an object to achieve a force of 203.66N when dropped from a certain height. There is a question about the appropriate formula to use and a suggestion to vary the mass of the object to achieve the desired force. The conversation also touches on the potential complications of varying the mass and finding a mathematical function to calculate the final mass at the moment of impact.
Moose720

Homework Statement

An object with a mass of 6.8kg travels at 29.95 m/s has a force of 203.66N What height would this same object needed to be dropped from in order to achieve the same force?

Homework Equations

Not sure which formulas to use for this?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
F = ma

is it "the same force or same velocity" at he end of the question

Same force is what I need.

If same force is needed then it is not possible for any height. At any height Earth's gravitation will be approx. 9.8 and F = mg and mass will remain constant.

it is definitely same velocity

I have a product that needs to pass an impact test of a 6.8kg object traveling at 29.95 m/s. What I am wanting to do it recreate this situation but in a vertical fashion. The weight of the object can vary as long as I end up with the impact force.

this means mass has to be variable how are you planning to vary mass

By adding weight to the object being dropped to achieve the desired impact force.

is the velocity 29.95 at the moment of impact

Yes, am I missing something?

according to me the initial weight of object should be varied mathematically with a function
so that by the time it reaches ground its weight becomes 203.66 N from 68 N now we have height as a variable and some mathematical function you wish to use, final velocity of the object. try to write mass in terms of time

Last edited:
thread ur question again so that more learned people can go through it and try to elucidate the situation a bit more it is getting complicated That is all i can offer

1. What is a dropped object height?

A dropped object height refers to the vertical distance an object falls from a certain point to the ground or a surface.

2. Why is it important to measure the dropped object height?

Measuring the dropped object height is crucial in understanding the impact and potential hazards of a falling object. It can help in determining the required safety measures and preventing accidents in the workplace.

3. How is the dropped object height measured?

The dropped object height can be measured using a measuring tape, ruler, or laser distance meter. The height is typically measured from the point of release to the point of impact on the ground or surface.

4. What are the common causes of dropped object height accidents?

The most common causes of dropped object height accidents include human error, improper storage or handling of objects, equipment failure, and poor maintenance of tools and equipment.

5. How can dropped object height accidents be prevented?

To prevent dropped object height accidents, safety protocols should be implemented and followed in the workplace. This includes proper training for employees, regular inspection and maintenance of equipment, and the use of proper storage and handling methods for objects.