1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dropping a drinking glass

1. Dec 1, 2015 #1
    my dog jumped on table and dropped a drinking glass to the floor. obviously i took a brush and cleaned it. later on my dad comes and starts yelling that i should have vacuumed that. he said that the glass for some reason breaks into small little dust that will penetrate thru your bare feet skin.

is it true that the glass breaks into a somewhat big amount(an amount that would cause harm if stepped on, thats what i thought my dad said) of small dust that i cant even see, and then that dust would be more harmful than any other dust? why would the glass break into dust, it breaks into bigger pieces. and dust im talking about really fine flour or something.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2015 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Dust is not the right word, but vacuuming is a good idea. Glass debris around 1-2mm cannot be brushed up very well, but can still hurt if you step on them barefoot.

4. Dec 1, 2015 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Flour-fine glass dust won't penetrate your skin (inhaled is a different problem), but glass will also fracture into small needle-like shards that will penetrate skin and are also very hard to see. My technique of choice is a damp paper towel....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook