Dropping a golf ball

• Thread starter chaotixmonjuish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Golf
In summary, the golf ball is released from a height of 1.76 m and bounces back to a height of 0.80 m. It is in contact with the floor for 4.62 ms. The equation 4.7x^2-1.76x may be used to solve this problem. The average acceleration of the ball while in contact with the floor can be determined by finding the velocity when it hits the floor, the initial velocity needed to achieve an altitude of 0.80 m, the change in velocity, and the average acceleration.
chaotixmonjuish
A golf ball released from a height of 1.76 m above a concrete floor, bounces back to a height of 0.80 m. If the ball is in contact with the floor for 4.62 ms, what is the magnitude of the average acceleration a of the ball while it is in contact with the floor?

I'm not sure how to start this. I was thinking of this equation:

4.7x^2-1.76x

I think

Physics news on Phys.org
chaotixmonjuish said:
A golf ball released from a height of 1.76 m above a concrete floor, bounces back to a height of 0.80 m. If the ball is in contact with the floor for 4.62 ms, what is the magnitude of the average acceleration a of the ball while it is in contact with the floor?

I'm not sure how to start this. I was thinking of this equation:

4.7x^2-1.76x

I think
Why?

What is the velocity of the ball when it hits the floor?

What is the initial velocity of the ball in order to achieve an altitude of 0.80 m?

What is the change in velocity?

What is the average acceleration thereof?

I'm not sure, I lifted this question off my homework. I'm pretty stumped on this question.

chaotixmonjuish said:
I'm not sure, I lifted this question off my homework. I'm pretty stumped on this question.

What is the velocity right before it hits the ground? What is the velocity right immediately after it bounces?

What happens when you drop a golf ball?

When a golf ball is dropped, it will fall towards the ground due to the force of gravity. As it falls, it will gain speed until it reaches its terminal velocity, which is the maximum speed it can reach while falling. Once it hits the ground, it will bounce back up due to the momentum it gained while falling.

What affects the height of a golf ball when dropped?

The height a golf ball will reach when dropped depends on several factors, such as the initial height from which it is dropped, the force of gravity, and air resistance. Additionally, the surface on which the ball is dropped can also affect its bounce height.

How does air resistance affect a dropped golf ball?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of an object through air. As a golf ball falls, it will experience air resistance, which will slow down its descent and ultimately affect the height it reaches when it bounces back up.

Why does a golf ball bounce when dropped?

A golf ball bounces when dropped due to the conservation of energy. When the ball hits the ground, some of its kinetic energy is transferred into the ground as it compresses, while the rest is converted into potential energy. The potential energy then propels the ball back up, and the cycle repeats until the ball comes to a stop.

Can you calculate the bounce height of a golf ball when dropped?

Yes, the bounce height of a golf ball can be calculated using principles of physics, such as the conservation of energy and the coefficient of restitution (a measure of how bouncy an object is). These calculations can be complex, but they can provide a good estimate of the bounce height of a golf ball when dropped from a certain height.